saddle and kicking out in canter

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
i have got an sl on order but not in till xmas, my current saddle moves forward a bit when i ride him which im fully aware off so avoiding sitting trot and sitting too heavy in canter (mostly off his back), the cheeky boy keeps kicking out in canter, feels like a buck but its just one leg. is this cos of the saddle or cos he is being over sensitive to the spur!! should i try spurs that are rubber covered. any ideas peeps.

samp

Visit site
I am having a similar problem with my saddle in canter it feels unstble and I am finding it very hard to stay straight, this in turn is confusing my mare. This reminds me I must book saddler to check mine as I think it is too big

BID

Visit site
My boy did exactly the same when I needed to change my saddle. It turned out he had a slightly sore back where his saddle didn't fit properly so I had to give him a break to give his back time to get better before I could attempt to try other saddles due to the fact that he was kicking out in canter transitions. Once his back was better we then had a saddle fitting and trying session. With the new saddles he was fine and stopped kicking out.

BID

Visit site
What's he like with a schooling whip, if he stops kicking out when you haven't got the spurs on it might be worth a try. I need one or the other with my boy otherwise I get knckrd very quickly and legs turn to jelly.

annaellie

Visit site
I would not do ridden work untill I had a saddle that fitted correctly. I done some schooling on a mare that done exact same. Her owner had back checked, diet etc and it all came to as the horse was getting more schooled and askedcertain things she kicked out I asked my instructor for my horse could he watch to see what he made, he was very experanced and trained with international event and dressage so he knew his stuff put it down to plain and simple evaison of the aids I just ignored her kicking and it stopped they did get bigger before stopping tho.
wink.gif