Saddle and Supplement Suggestions for a VERY special horse :-)

PercyMum

Visit site
Bestest news EVER.

I lost my precious soulmate horse last year, and then got the news I would most likely be in a wheelchair by the time I was 45 a week later. Clearly devastated but decided to grab life by the wotsits, buy myself a fab horse and have one last hurrah at eventing before becoming a bit more sedate. I purchase one wonderful dream horse, who after 6 months of trying his very best, knocked me out and had a full work up. Vets come back with the devastating news that he has thoracic impingement (ie, start of Wobblers), kissing spines (x 4), arthritic changes down his whole right hind and DJD in his SI area. He was only 7 an had a 5* vetting when purchased. Life just sucks. I retire him and vet says to look again at start of Sept to see if he will get through the winter but likelihood is he needs PTS-ing as he will struggle with the cold and all those issues.

Goes to vets, results today. No sign of thoracic impingement, 2 spines appear to be fusing, 2 appear to have receded. Hind end still showing some changes but he is sound in every way. So not only will he be OK to be a field ornament for years BUT i MIGHT even be able ti get back on next year! I'm so pleased and happy!

So, the point of this epic post is that I need the very best suggestions for giving him as much nutritional support to get his jonts supported. I've used Pernamax in the past but thought about Cortaflex? What are peoples thoughts? Secondly, I'm going to save up for the biggest squashiest saddle I can find so that he will get the comfiest ride if I can get him back to ridden work. Any suggestions there? I hasten to add if he can't come back into ridden work, he has a home for life anyway so it doesn't matter. Ooh, I could have 3 horses in work. Eeek!

I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets hear it for Tyne the wonder horse!!!!!

Tobiano

Visit site
Oh wow, so glad to hear such positive news about Tyne. I have used Suppleaze Gold from Aviform - you could have a look at their website and see what you think, there may be something else more suitable as well. Not sure about saddle but wishing you and Tyne all the very very best xxx

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would say the right saddle for him and for you with a big Mattes sheepskin pad underneath - it's what I would fit to any horse of mine, back problems or no. The four pocket ones are really useful for a horse coming back into work and changing shape rapidly.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Great news for Tyne! and you :) I like the LeMieux range of lovely sheepy squishy pads, my horses seem fond of them, too. As to joint supplement, mine are on Forever Freedom and doing well on it.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Saddlewise I'd keep an eye out for a sensation. I jump and dressage in mine, seriously comfy and my mare with back issues loves it. Not cheap but sometimes come up 2nd hand at good price

Fun Times

Visit site
Well percymum I have nothing useful to add but just wanted to wish you all the very best. I hope you get to have some wonderful times with Tyne in the near future. And well done for finding the positives, that is a a true virtue.