Saddle arrangements for a new horse

happihorse

Visit site
Just wondering what everyone else does about a saddle when they get a new horse.

Did you already have one that fitted and made do with that, did you buy one with the horse, did you wait to ride the horse until you had been to a saddler and had one fitted, did you borrow one from a freind until you could get one, etc.

teddyt

Visit site
I get a new saddle for the horse unless by some miracle one of my existing saddles already fits! I would never buy tack with a horse- the chances of it fitting are usually very slim!

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
I had to make do with the saddle that came with him. The previous owners hadn't had it for him for very long so it was in good condition :) Plus he was at the top end of our limited budget and we didn't really have much money left to splash out on a new saddle!
It was absolutely fine for the first 18months or so while we were at low levels and rebuilding my confidence after a nasty fall but when we started to move up to bigger jumps and increase his work load we started having problems! :(
It's taken until now (i've had him just over 3 years) to get him saddles which fit both Oscar and I properly! He's an odd shape to fit which made things harder! :(
We've ended up with a Bates Momentum for jumping and fast work and a Wintec Isabelle for dressage, schooling and hacking :) I love both and the difference the Wintec has made in just the 10 days we have had it is quite incredible and reall has to be seen to be believed!! :eek:
They were a present from my lovely Mum for doing well in my exams...I haven't had the results yet!!! :eek: (Nothing like pressure!) But we couldn't have left it until August as his old saddle was giving him a bad back and we were having to borrow one off our very kind YO...

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
I have got a WOW that was fitted to Adrian. When I got Trev, I rode him with 2 pads under it to start with (he and A are at opposite ends of the saddle spectrum), then got the WOW fitter out to fit it to him.

Before I got the WOW, I used to buy a new saddle every time I changed horse. (A is only doing minimal work atm so I'm riding him in Jenny's dr saddle which fits him. If he comes back into full work, I will buy another WOW & hide it from my o/h...)

Bert&Maud

Visit site
Once my horse had passed the vet and I knew what day he would be arriving I booked the saddler to come with a selection of new and secondhand saddles. He had an Ideal Event second hand which fitted well, just needed him to adjust the flocking a little which he did at the time, so I was sorted straight away. I know it's not always that easy though, but wouldn't ever "make do" because you can do so much damage in a short time.