Saddle dilemma!

Dumbo

Visit site
Had the saddle fitter out yesterday as I wanted to replace the Albion event saddle with a GP saddle.
I've been left with 2 to trial. Baring in mind that I mainly hack and do flatwork but will be jumping more, can anyone help me decide on which one? This will be his only saddle.

Kent and Masters - forward cut so suitable to jump in but could also get away with it in the dressage arena! Looks lovely, great fit, not hugely comfortable.

Ideal VSD - more straight cut, not totally suitable for jumping really. Horse went really well in it and so did I! Soooo comfortable I could have sat in it all day! Not as nice looking and £100 more expensive.

I am totally torn.

Wheels

Visit site
Why are you torn? The horse went really well in the ideal, so did you, sooo comfortable.... That's the one :)

Dumbo

Visit site
The ideal isn't suitable for jumping really though and I have plans to do the odd hunter trial/SJ. Not sure if I could get away with it!

eggs

Visit site
I've done sj and xc in a vsd (very slightly dressage) saddle with no issue.

I've always found forward cut saddles uncomfortable to hack out in so would definitely go for the Ideal.

I believe K&M are part of the Thorowgood (sp?) saddle company so you could probably buy a synthetic saddle just for jumping.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you will be jumping more you need a saddle that's safe to jump in .
It's bad for your confidence and the horses to jump in saddles that don't let you get into a optimal position .
Perhaps buy the ideal and save for a jumping saddle ?

Dumbo

Visit site
I've got both saddles to trial until the weekend so going to hack and jump in both.
Also got to bare in mind my 6'4ft OH who will be riding too. I think his knees will sit past the knee blocks on the Ideal. Hmmpff, I thought it would be an easy decision!!

Charlie77

Visit site
Sounds like you need an ideal international event saddle! Id send both back and ask your saddler to look out for one of them, I have to say I always had ideal saddles on my old horse sadly I had to have kent and masters on my current horse all that seemed to fit! And it had gotton more comfortable as the months have gone on x

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Neither or buy the ideal and get a synthetic jump saddle. I have an AH event saddle and use it for everything. It also fits my ridiculously long legs. I would get something that you can use for everything you want to do, personally.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have an ideal vsd with moveable blocks, GP ones that I move back for dressage, have in normal spot for hacking (so comfy, for hours!) and small triangular one so I can hitch legs up for jumping. I am 5'5 on a 14.2 cob. What level will you be jumping at, mine is perfectly fine up to about 3', no my position isn't perfect in it but it does the job. It honestly is so comfy though! Does yours have changeable blocks? Taller friends seem to have been plenty comfy in it too.

been doing workers so up short in this one (saddle is 17")

248804_10150649539260438_1495968_n.jpg

and dressage length

156899_10150352868045438_1609735_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dumbo

Visit site
Sounds like you need an ideal international event saddle! Id send both back and ask your saddler to look out for one of them
It is an Ideal international event :)

Decided to go with the K&M and suggest a part exchange for the ideal with my kieffer dressage saddle.