Saddle experts - opinions please

pennyturner

Visit site
Recently picked up an 'interesting' looking saddle. It's a GT Palmer (Walsall) saddle, with a single long girth strap dividing into two billets. Constructed with no panels, and just a small quarter flap over the points. Does anyone know anything about the design, use, balance or history of this kind of saddle. Are they still in use, and if not, why not?

Haven't taken any photos of it yet, but it's identical to this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monoflap...575901?hash=item363858c5dd:g:diAAAOSw4LdbZKq9

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
black country vinici saddles are similar to this I think. it does have panels, just not the upper flap.

pennyturner

Visit site
Yes, sorry, you're quite right. Panels, but not flaps.

Editing to say that I just looked at the price of the saddle you mention above and nearly fell off my chair!!!

Last edited:

DirectorFury

Visit site
black country vinici saddles are similar to this I think. it does have panels, just not the upper flap.

Vinici-GP.jpg

I think that's just how monoflaps used to be made. The BC is still quite a popular saddle so I don't think they've fallen out of use for a functional reason; I suspect it's more of a fashion thing to have the girth straps run through the flap.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
think you're right there DF. I knew someone with a new BC which was quite comfortable but I much prefer the cleaning of my monoflaps where it's all contained inside the flap.

pennyturner

Visit site
Not sure I'm happy relying on a single strap / girth web combo. Not much to keep it on the horse if the web fails, is there? Mine doesn't have the point strap either.

Do folk use an over-girth, or just check it carefully?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Just monoflap, I was trying to work out whether it's sweat flap missing (definitely not panels, lots of people call flaps panels but they're definitely not :) ) or top flap but you can't really say which one is missing lol. There's sometimes a military connotation with this style but not sure there is actually any design similarity. I think Jeffries used to do a similar one which had a military name. Vinici range definitely styled the same as you've seen. Does mean that girth straps get cared for.