Saddle failure.

Bob notacob

Visit site
Well , after 16 plus years of sometimes rather full on use ,my saddle has a broken stirrup bar. Its a wellep adjustable bar , and a wonderful thing for fine tuning stirrup position. Stainless steel is tricky stuff and ultimately can crack . I absolutely missed the signs , why do my stirrups feel unlevel? Hah, cos its broke you dumb clutz . Fortunately Bob had just been restrained from his full on ID charge at the trot and so there was no immediate need to abandon ship . Clutching stirrup leather and one foot still in stirrup ,one tickling him under his belly ,we proceeded. Only to find that in Bobs world , the correct aids for Piaffe ,are to clutch a stirrup leather and tickle him under the belly with one leg .WHO KNEW!!!!Fairly amazing!

Bob notacob

Visit site
Just to add , went to my saddler with the wreckage , Oh we can fix all that !.He Seemed more concerned with the gouge the bar had made down the flap. A few minutes with leather dye and a "bone" and it looked great to me (though my saddler is a perfectionist and was less impressed. Gave him a list of adjustments and improvements I would like ,all received with the same ,"yes ,no problem" There are very few people I trust ,but my saddler is top of the list.PS , he had the saddle made for me and my horse ,in the first place.

Bob notacob

Visit site
Sounds like a great outcome….. sounds like he is worth his weight in gold.. good saddle fitters are hard to come by.. in fact of recent months. Trying to get any saddle fitters in this area is a nightmare.
my lady had to come from the borders ☺️
Got my saddle back from TDS .All work carried out to way above my saddlers expectation.(got sent to an old pal of his in Walsall , who made it originally) .I was astounded at how he had remedied the hole in the pommel! Stirrup bars replaced , girth straps renewed (and why wouldn't you).Good for the rest of Bob and my lifes . Oh yes and wedges put between tree and flocking to jack up rear of saddle without over stuffing. Over the moon with the service!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Saddlers and saddle fitters are usually different people....saddle fitters to fit the saddle, saddlers to repair them...some do both but not many.

You beat me to it!
Like saying a dentist and a doctor (GP) are the same thing, we are very different.
In the old days we had collar makers, brown saddlers, black saddlers and no saddle fitters as the brown saddlers fitted saddles, so much has changed in the trade hasn't it sbloom?
Oz