Pictures Saddle fit again...sorry

MrsNorris

Visit site
Thanks everyone, just out of interest, I’ve taken the gullet plate out of his old saddle, a HM flexEE, which fits him fine and he goes very well in it, and compared it to this saddle. To say I was shocked hardly covers it. IMG_0069.jpg

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Hope you don't mind but, help out a novice...so many of you could instantly describe the saddle as too narrow. I could see the out of balance / weight not central question, and I wasn't sure about the length but, how could you see it was too narrow. What should I look for?

(Don't worry, I have a saddle I can trust who takes care of mine)

Nari

Visit site
Hope you don't mind but, help out a novice...so many of you could instantly describe the saddle as too narrow. I could see the out of balance / weight not central question, and I wasn't sure about the length but, how could you see it was too narrow. What should I look for?

Six fingers is a lot of clearance, when it's that much then generally the saddle is too narrow (though as explained above there are exceptions). Also the seat looks it tips backwards, again usually a sign that it's too narrow. Add the two together & I'd be very surprised if it wasn't too narrow.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

It stands up off the shoulders, rather than fitting down the outside of them, it's the gullet which is too narrow, you should only be able to put two/three fingers between the wither and the saddle, without a rider.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

To me it sat like an old fashioned clothes peg, as in standing up on the horse's back and pinching instead of nestling in and resting on the panels. If they fit like an old fashioned clothes peg you will find that the more weight you put on, the tighter they go.

When I ride a horse I can slide a hand anywhere (within reach, obviously!) under the saddle and my had should feel massaged rather than crushed. This is one of my tests as sometimes a saddle may not seem so bad until the rider is on and the horse is moving. The ultimate test is the horse though, if the horse is not happy then that is it, end game.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
When I ride a horse I can slide a hand anywhere (within reach, obviously!) under the saddle and my had should feel massaged rather than crushed. This is one of my tests as sometimes a saddle may not seem so bad until the rider is on and the horse is moving. The ultimate test is the horse though, if the horse is not happy then that is it, end game.

This is what my saddler has shown me. I couldn't figure out how you could all see it without actually touching it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
There is no way that pony is going to fit in a medium wide saddle, I bet his at least a wide fit, that saddle is not level it's tipping back which means it's too narrow.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

Excuse me addressing everyone in turn, some have nearly been even handed, most haven't. You cannot tell that it is too narrow (did you read my replies?)

It stands up off the shoulders, rather than fitting down the outside of them, it's the gullet which is too narrow, you should only be able to put two/three fingers between the wither and the saddle, without a rider.

Not at all, 1-5 fingers is possible in a well fitting saddle, 2-4 more common but in a dressage saddle 2 fingers would be very rare. And 2 fingers without a rider means roughly 1 finger with, which is absolutely bare minimum and would almost never be seen in a dressage saddle (deeper seat means higher pommel means more clearance). Depends on the horse, depends on the saddle, depends on how it is flocked. And clearance is a function of width, but there are many other factors.

This is what my saddler has shown me. I couldn't figure out how you could all see it without actually touching it.

A good eye can see from the right photo, but it needs, as I previously said, to show the tree points against the ribcage.

There is no way that pony is going to fit in a medium wide saddle, I bet his at least a wide fit, that saddle is not level it's tipping back which means it's too narrow.

It does not mean it is too narrow. I don't know how many times I can say this and still remain polite (and realise this doesn't seem polite, sorry!). I agree that he's unlikely to be a MW.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Excuse me addressing everyone in turn, some have nearly been even handed, most haven't. You cannot tell that it is too narrow (did you read my replies?)

Not at all, 1-5 fingers is possible in a well fitting saddle, 2-4 more common but in a dressage saddle 2 fingers would be very rare. And 2 fingers without a rider means roughly 1 finger with, which is absolutely bare minimum and would almost never be seen in a dressage saddle (deeper seat means higher pommel means more clearance). Depends on the horse, depends on the saddle, depends on how it is flocked. And clearance is a function of width, but there are many other factors.

A good eye can see from the right photo, but it needs, as I previously said, to show the tree points against the ribcage.

It does not mean it is too narrow. I don't know how many times I can say this and still remain polite (and realise this doesn't seem polite, sorry!). I agree that he's unlikely to be a MW.

Fair enough I didn't realise that I suppose it makes sense really

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Out of balance, width and clearance are all related to each other but one is not diagnosable from another. A saddle can tip back when it's a perfect fit, if it's put on too far forwards :). It is only possible to tell if a saddle is too wide or narrow from front on photos that show the tree points, and the saddle must be placed correctly and girthed firmly.