Saddle fitting in the US

pennyturner

Visit site
My sister rides at a very flash barn in the US. She is adamant that standard practice there is to carefully measure the rider to fit a saddle (english style), which is then used by the owner on any horse, with different numnahs to pad out / level up accordingly.

I am horrified. Is she right?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
was the way when I was out there but that was 20 years ago! I taught at a camp and several of them came with their own saddles (private girls camp). tbh the same thing happens in a lot of pro yards over here too IME.

Spring Feather

Visit site
It's not really so different from the UK and Europe. Most people here who only own 1 or 2 horses generally have saddles fitted to those horses however many people over here own loads of horses and in those circumstances they generally have a number of saddles, with each saddle fitting a few similarly built horses.

I have had people turn up here expecting to ride my horses in their saddles and I generally don't allow it unless the saddle looks to be a reasonably decent fit, and in good shape. I have had a couple of people turn up thinking they'd be allowed to ride in their cruddy 70 year old piece of junk saddle their great grandfather rode in ... umm no.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My saddler goes several times a year to Texas to reflock saddles take templates for new ones and fit the ones she took templates for the time before .
So at least in some places its similar .

pennyturner

Visit site
It's standard practice in a lot of yards over here too. Pros aren't going to have 20 different saddles for 20 different horses.

Maybe that works if all your horses are a similar stamp. Some of my ponies can be safely swapped, but I know them and their saddles very well - if I swap for some reason, the saddle I use also fits.
It's the attitude of padding, say under a saddle that's too narrow (how does that even work?), which I think is terrible.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It's subtly different to having a few horses and a few saddles and swapping them around as appropriate, it is indeed one rider, who may not even have a horse, having a saddle which they will use on everything. It is on the wane, but is still fairly common I believe (I have a US saddle fitter friend and frequent a US based board).

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
There are great fitters over there, blogspot.saddlefitter is one awesome one, but with the distances and the history of western and gaited/park/pleasure horses saddle fitting is on the whole a different thing to how we approach it in the UK.