Saddle Fitting Opinions

emilykerr747

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I’ve been struggling for a while to find a saddle for my horse. He’s been seen my multiple qualified and recommend saddle fitters however I can’t help but notice the subjectiveness in the recommendations for saddles!
I bought a saddle from one saddler which I used for 4 months which turned out to be too narrow for my horse causing muscular wastage behind his withers. Since then I have seen two other saddle fitters who have conflicting views on which saddles I should look for.
I should note that the horse I have is not mine and is on loan which is why I am slightly reluctant to buy a very expensive brand new saddle (which one of the saddlers is recommending). However this saddler is highly experienced but it seems they only want to push their own retailed brand of saddles and not recommend any more affordable brands.

I am conscious that I don’t want to make my horse’s muscular wastage worse but at the same time I’m starting to wonder if I should reach out to other brand reps? I live in the north of Scotland so it’s sometimes difficult to get brand reps to come up here and if they do I’m worried they will push their own saddles even if it doesn’t fit/ suit my horse well.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have had a similar situation I was recommended a saddle fitter they sold me a new saddle, but my horse was 4 I was niave I didn't really know about horses backs or saddles now I do!

Most horses I look at have an atrophied back especially at the front where the front of the saddle sits, alot of fitters don't look at the horses profile they should not have dips either side of the wither.

I would guess majority of horses are in a too narrow saddle than they should be it often takes alot of mistakes and wrong information and you have to learn from that.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
There are so many ways to fit saddles (that work, that is!), and we all have our preferences influenced by our experience and personal approach, that it is impossible for several fitters to agree on the best option, horribly confusing though that is.

I always recommend going off reviews - if there are way more good than bad, everything you've read indicates they should be able to fit your horse and ideally have an approach that would work for you, and they can get to you, or you can get to them, several times a year (I know, more difficult in your location), then I'd give them a try. Some single brand reps will have little experience in saddle fitting overall and will be more of a rep than a fitter, others have been doing it for years, do comprehensive CPD, have had in depth training etc, and should be honest with you.

I would agree that many horses are fitted too narrow but actually it's more about tree shape, that the tree is too narrow in the middle, the rails the wrong shape, and that the width at the front, within reason, can be less important.

You need a remedial fit now, with muscle loss, so I would look for a fitter who will look at the whole picture, understands the need for some in hand work to help the posture, and understands how to work with a shim system, and possibly a short term cheaper saddle while you improve his back shape. Personally I would consider not riding, doing some really good groundwork and get those changes happening now, to save having to have at least two saddles over the coming months.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Sorry I can't really help with recommendations and as sbloom says each fitter will differ during to experiences and general human nature.
Equally horses are all different what works for one won't necessarily work for another.
There are so many ways to fit saddles (that work, that is!), and we all have our preferences influenced by our experience and personal approach, that it is impossible for several fitters to agree on the best option, horribly confusing though that is.

I always recommend going off reviews - if there are way more good than bad, everything you've read indicates they should be able to fit your horse and ideally have an approach that would work for you, and they can get to you, or you can get to them, several times a year (I know, more difficult in your location), then I'd give them a try. Some single brand reps will have little experience in saddle fitting overall and will be more of a rep than a fitter, others have been doing it for years, do comprehensive CPD, have had in depth training etc, and should be honest with you.

I would agree that many horses are fitted too narrow but actually it's more about tree shape, that the tree is too narrow in the middle, the rails the wrong shape, and that the width at the front, within reason, can be less important.

You need a remedial fit now, with muscle loss, so I would look for a fitter who will look at the whole picture, understands the need for some in hand work to help the posture, and understands how to work with a shim system, and possibly a short term cheaper saddle while you improve his back shape. Personally I would consider not riding, doing some really good groundwork and get those changes happening now, to save having to have at least two saddles over the coming months.

Are you able to recommend any inhand/ ground work exercises @sbloom ?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I used Lavinia Mitchell in the end for my horse as he had muscle wastage and I must say it's the best thing I ever did, I bought one of her saddles and she fitted it with a shim numnah, the concept is she fits a too wide saddle and uses the shims to make it fit to allow the muscle to return.

She has a website and is on Facebook might be worth a look and see if she has a fitter near you.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Sorry I can't really help with recommendations and as sbloom says each fitter will differ during to experiences and general human nature.
Equally horses are all different what works for one won't necessarily work for another.

Are you able to recommend any inhand/ ground work exercises @sbloom ?

I have a sheet of online links to groundwork resources I send to all my customers, anyone can drop me an email address and I'll send it over :)

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I used Lavinia Mitchell in the end for my horse as he had muscle wastage and I must say it's the best thing I ever did, I bought one of her saddles and she fitted it with a shim numnah, the concept is she fits a too wide saddle and uses the shims to make it fit to allow the muscle to return.

She has a website and is on Facebook might be worth a look and see if she has a fitter near you.

This is the same concept as Balance. My fitter is trained by balance but will fit cheaper alternatives if they work for the horse.

Before I used the Balance method my horse had awful muscle wastage behind the shoulders, just as Pinky describes, and now i know a bit more about it, i also see it in a huge amount of horses

Pinkvboots

Visit site
This is the same concept as Balance. My fitter is trained by balance but will fit cheaper alternatives if they work for the horse.

Before I used the Balance method my horse had awful muscle wastage behind the shoulders, just as Pinky describes, and now i know a bit more about it, i also see it in a huge amount of horses

Lavinia used to work for Balance she is a lovely lady her saddles are really lovely as well I love my saddle best thing I ever did buying one.

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
I have had similar issues.
My super wide cob has just got her beautiful custom made saddle from the company sbloom works for - we are very lucky to be close to Andrea Hicks.

in your circumstances I would strongly recommend a solutions saddle. You get a saddle that fits you and it shims to fit the horse. There's an excellent FB site that sells them second hand.
You can then get a fitter or advice over the phone.
They ride like a treed saddle.
There are a couple of variations if your horse is particularly high withered or flat backed. However my smart GP has fitted my flat backed cob, high wither Hanoverian and two diff ISH. 15-16hh. Short, long and wide backed!!
I used one for 18 months on my previous horse and he built top lbeautifully as it gave him the space to grow muscle.
They are expensive but retain a great secondhand value - but once you understand them there is no fitting or flocking ever again.
You can use their numnahs and shims but I prefer a prolite half pad with shims.
I am using one on my new horse until I work out what it is that we will need - and I have saved up!!!