Saddle Fitting

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
My Albion is a bit low on the new boys back and I dont really want to change the fit unless I have to as I anticipate an increase in weight and muscle structure what are the pros and cons of Riser versus Gel pad ??

I have a prolite saddle pad I was going to use short term ??

Maisy

Visit site
Personally I wouldnt take the risk on using either unless recommended by a qualified saddle fitter!!

You have just paid £6.5k (iirc) for a horse, the last thing you want to do is damage his back for the sake of another £50 odd to get the saddle fitted properly.........

........just my opinion
smile.gif

Maisy

Visit site
sorry.........I read your OP to say that you were going to wait for anticipated muscle changes before getting the saddle sorted!

..........I would think that a riser would be better to lift the saddle up, as I thought the gel pad just absorbs the concussion?

dwi

Visit site
I would say that it depends on how your current saddle fits him. Is it lifting in a specific place or does it just need a bit of padding?

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I think it just needs padding. With the bank holiday coming up I may have a while before saddler can get to me its really just sort of temporary - I agree with everyone that if the saddle dont fit it shouldnt be sat on.

star

Visit site
my albion is also sitting a little low on my new horse, only fractionally. saddler has been out and checked and happy with my use of a big, fluffy half pad to rise it up slightly as it sits level so i didn't want to be using a front or rear riser. saddler can alter it, but until he can find me a GP to fit he's not having my dressage saddle! been riding in it 5.5mths now, physio checked horse as well, he doesn't have a sore back and moves super so my padding obviously is doing the trick.

KatB

Visit site
My jump saddle is purposefully fitted fractionally too wide and has either a prolte or half pad under it. Does the job beautifully
smile.gif

hellybelly6

Visit site
Get a qualified saddle fitter out, the saddle may need reflocking or they can make it a bit narrower as required. Its not worth risking your horse's back/comfort

palomino_pony

Visit site
Get a saddle fitter out asap. You don't want to cause any pain...possibly resulting in a loss of confidence from you ...or the horse. Especailly as it a new horse too. They can always alter it again when he has muscled up.

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
Ok one and all had a lesson on lovely boy today and used thicker numnah saddle stuill too low so saddler booked dont know when just told them I would work to his calendar but needed sooner rather than later. Need to keep him worked though so will lunge more ride less.

Saw the farrier got his feet looked at and he is booked in for 2 weeks time.

Teeth next and restart flu jabs as he has missed lst jab July 08 how miffing is that

send his pooh to vets for an egg count

Right then what have I missed I know eat lunch.