Saddle patch

S_N

Visit site
Leaving a saddle patch or lozenge shape on the horses back when doing a full or hunter clip - How come so many people do this? Is is because it is the 'done' thing? Something that we have all pretty much grown up with, therefore a habbit or is it there for a specific reason?

I ask because I have always been led to believe that it is a relic from the days before saddle cloths, when saddles had serge pannels.

Also if you don't bother with leaving a patch on the back, why?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
As mentioned in my earlier posts my saddle patch is left because it is a blanket clip when the intention started out it just ends as a blanket clip but for fallabellas!

In reality I have never thought about it enough its only a small patch of hair and I have never really thought about why they did it in the first place.

eekmon

Visit site
I have always done it but then I am an old relic
shocked.gif
I just think if you take a saddle out of a freezing cold tack room an put it straight onto a lovely warm 'naked' back it probably wouldn't feel that comfortable for the horse. I don't condem taking it all off but I prefer to leave a bit! Personal choice, as are alot of things in the horsey world
smile.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
When i had someone to do the clipping i always had a saddle patch as i was told it would stop the saddle rubbing (shouldn't do this anyway) and slipping. However now that i clip i take it all of, i really don't see the point and my saddle doesn't slip at all.
smile.gif