saddle question.. Devocoux

milz88

Visit site
Hi, I'm after a little but of independent advice.

I have a new young horse who is 5, after much saddle trying, Assessing and debate I've purchased a 1 year old devoucoux jump saddle. I feel it was the best fit out of them all for both horse and I and the fitter/rep also said it fits well too (as I'm sure they would, perhaps), but you have to trust someone?!.

He seems to be jumping and schooling well in it thus far although I've ridden in it about 5 times so far. I have only one small doubt about it. I'm worried it might be sitting just a bit too close and possibly touching the top of his spine on the wither, it's fine when I'm not sat on it and it only seems to be the left side, I can still fit most of my whole hand underneath the pommel when sat on it.

Possibly I'm worrying too much, people have said the concept of the close contact saddle is different to what I know and am used to with the wool flocked type where you build up more off the back and wither. I feel very happy with the fit and how well it flexes and moves with his shoulder I'm just doubting the spinal clearance and possibly worrying extra amounts due to my last horse having kissing spines etc.

I'm going to run this past the fitter/rep asap anyway, just after any general musings or thoughts, he is't ridden with a pad or riser with it, just a nice big poly pad at present.

milz88

Visit site
Any pictures?

No sorry not at the moment, I only just had this thought tonight, I have had him for 2 weeks. People quote 'sufficient clearance' ... of the spine, I am just trying to interpret this, I feel very happy with the fit of the rest of the saddle and a couple of days ago I didn't even notice it was close to the spine/wither is what I really mean, right at the front of the saddle. I worry, I'm worrying too much. But I'm going to double check with the fitter anyway.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm confused. . .why would you not just put a slightly thicker/different pad under it? Most people who use cc saddles - which is pretty much every top sj and eventing rider in the world - have a selection of quality pads for different situations, minor seasonal fluctuations, even different horses. Pads won't fix a horrendous fit, obviously, but for small tweaks it has the advantage of being immediate and easy, which allows you to ask the horse's opinion and adjust as needed

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I have a fab slimline rambo neoprene pad that I use under my close contact saddle which just gives it the extra little bit of clearance it needs. When my horse is summer weight I don't need the extra pad, when he is fit or in winter I do need it. It isn't as thick as a standard prolite, but it is just enough to keep the fit nice all year round. I have to say I sacked the services of a saddle fitter a long time ago... and I have seemingly had happier horses since then...

milz88

Visit site
I'm confused. . .why would you not just put a slightly thicker/different pad under it? Most people who use cc saddles - which is pretty much every top sj and eventing rider in the world - have a selection of quality pads for different situations, minor seasonal fluctuations, even different horses. Pads won't fix a horrendous fit, obviously, but for small tweaks it has the advantage of being immediate and easy, which allows you to ask the horse's opinion and adjust as needed

This is what I think I will try. To be honest I am just trying to be careful and I am analysing every little detail because he is a new horse, and like I said, I had a horse with kissing spines put down last year and I went through the mill with saddle fitting with him before hand. But I am going to run my query past the rep anyway and see what she suggests, it might be fine. I was just looking for a few ideas to bounce around.

Firewell

Visit site
Same as below. I don't bother with a saddle fitter anymore. It's important to go with your gut with saddles though, how does he feel to ride? If he is feeling lovely and soft and round to ride, happy and moving forwards, accepting contact well and happy to chip in short or long strides jumping you are probably fine. If you still have doubts it is probably worth listening to them however. Every time I have had doubts regarding saddle fit I have been proved right!
I have a fab slimline rambo neoprene pad that I use under my close contact saddle which just gives it the extra little bit of clearance it needs. When my horse is summer weight I don't need the extra pad, when he is fit or in winter I do need it. It isn't as thick as a standard prolite, but it is just enough to keep the fit nice all year round. I have to say I sacked the services of a saddle fitter a long time ago... and I have seemingly had happier horses since then...

popsdosh

Visit site
The reps are not trained saddle fitters they are trained to sell saddles! If they dont leave you with a saddle they have failed whether it is an ideal fit or not.

emmah

www.amazingpase.co.uk
Devocoux do a special pad that you can use with their saddles so it can be used on different horses. I don't think it is designed for ones that really don't fit but I know my friend who rides a few similar type horses uses it so she just has one saddle that fits all :)

siennamum

Visit site
If it is a new saddle then perhaps the flocking (assuming it's not air) has settled and compressed. I'm sure the saddler wouldn't mind coming out and making an adjustment or at least confirming that you needn't worry. The problem if the pommel is a bit close to the withers is that there could be pressure each side of the wither when the horse turns IMO, we had the same issue with a saddle recently. If the horse has really uneven shoulders also, you could ask for advice about girthing or adding a pad to even it up till horse muscles up more evenly. Good luck.

khalswitz

Visit site
I've just had a saddler out to check my saddles. One needed re flocking as had gone flat at the front - the other, which has always been too wide for my horse, we tried with my variety of pads to fit it to him. He has some amount of padding At the moment as he dropped some weight over winter, but as he goes much better in the 'too wide but padded up' saddle than the well fitting one I'm reluctant to replace it!! He's a hard horse to fit with big shoulders, very high withers, and a short back - so something almost always has to give, and at least a wide saddle padded up gives him room for his shoulders to move.

I do get my saddler out twice a year at the season change to fit him with pads etc when I get my SC saddle checked and flocked, but even with what is very poor for without padding she is happy for me to ride in it once she's padded it - and that's without her having sold me it either!!!

Gamebird

Visit site
Devoucoux have latex panels so a few of the above posts don't apply. I'm sure the OP knows this though ;)

And for the record, I'm with Tarrsteps ;)

popsdosh

Visit site
Devoucoux have latex panels so a few of the above posts don't apply. I'm sure the OP knows this though ;)

And for the record, I'm with Tarrsteps ;)

Lots of pro riders use the same saddle across several however I personally would not wish this for prolonged regular use. I would always use a flocked panel saddle for everyday use.

milz88

Visit site
Thank you for all the useful replies. Yes it is a latex/foam panel so I may well just require the use of a pad or prolite to lift it a bit. But I had a good chat with the girl (who I know it just a rep etc) and she is going to look at it again next Tues. She is very helpful and I'm able to change the saddle if I wish, I'm actually waiting for the brown version of the one I have. But I'm sure it does fit ok and I might be analysing it too much, however I feel with a young horse you can't be too sure. I am extremely pleased with the fit on the shoulder and else where so we will get it double checked next week and I'll try a prolite tonight. :) thanks again.

Gamebird

Visit site
Lots of pro riders use the same saddle across several however I personally would not wish this for prolonged regular use. I would always use a flocked panel saddle for everyday use.

So then would you use a latex panelled saddle for comps? And if so why would you risk changing your home set-up just for a competition day? Or are you saying you wouldn't use one at all?

popsdosh

Visit site
So then would you use a latex panelled saddle for comps? And if so why would you risk changing your home set-up just for a competition day? Or are you saying you wouldn't use one at all?
Personally only ever use flocked cc saddles as they are easier to refit. There has always been a debate about whether its wrong to use a CC saddle all the time for everyday use . I certainly would never be happy with any of mine being used in a padded to fit saddle day in day out. I must admit also I would never ever get a latex panelled saddle for a recently aquired 5yo with all the changes that are likely to go on as even if it fits today (which the OP is not confident of ) it wont in a few weeks and then to get altered has to go to france to be changed by guess work.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I was a little confused when you said it might be touching the spine at his wither but you can still get nearly your whole hand under pommel - not sure if that is flat/sideways/squished though :). Looks like you can get it sorted by the rep/peace of mind though :)

milz88

Visit site
I was a little confused when you said it might be touching the spine at his wither but you can still get nearly your whole hand under pommel - not sure if that is flat/sideways/squished though :). Looks like you can get it sorted by the rep/peace of mind though :)

Yes I understand my post was a bit confusing :) so I can fit my hand underneath the front (pommel) up to my knuckles and flat, (with me sat on it) my concern is that the sides of the front touch the top of the wither, as in it the front just sits a bit too low, but seemingly only the left side. If that makes any sense at all? ;) but it isn't terrible, the rest of the fit on the shoulders is excellent.

I've spoken to the devoucoux girl on the phone and I'm seeing her Tuesday anyway. I hate saddle shopping and fitting it is so hard.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
i think its horses for courses and to a certain extent i agree with-ask the horse!

mine is an equipe so monoflap and latex panel.

according to everyone who sees it, its a hair too wide, and pommel low but CS will not have it padded up and goes 500% better in this than any other saddle. he says hes happy so i leave it be!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Exactly - take the horse's opinion first.. if they seem more comfortable, happy and relaxed then they obviously approve the fit.

Must say that since most top competition horses in eventing and showjumping are ridden in latex panelled saddles every day, at home and at competition, that the true 'benefits' of having a fitted flocked saddle don't make themselves very apparent. I ride in a latex panelled close contact saddle on a daily basis and have never had a problem with that set up. I sold the dressage saddle that I had that was 'fitted' since the horse was tight and tense when wearing it, despite the supposed fit.

milz88

Visit site
i think its horses for courses and to a certain extent i agree with-ask the horse!

mine is an equipe so monoflap and latex panel.

according to everyone who sees it, its a hair too wide, and pommel low but CS will not have it padded up and goes 500% better in this than any other saddle. he says hes happy so i leave it be!

Thanks, agree with this and RachaelFerd I'mistening to him. He did appear to go rather bloody well in it last night when I jumped and schooled after wards... powering around the school. although I think he was fairly excited to get his feet off the ground. I'll just have to see how he continues to go over the next couple of days. :) thanks for all the super replies everyone. :)