saddle question

AliJo

Visit site
I have a saddle which is very deep-seated but have never been entirely happy about its fit. The pommel seems to sit very high above the wither and, to me, this meant that the saddle was too narrow. However, a master saddler checked it for me recently and said it was O.K (as did the saddle fitter)and they said it was high at the pommel because it was a deep-seated saddle. Does this sound right? Also, in the school, if my pony puts her head down a few times when trotting, the saddle ends up on her wither. Should I think about changing the saddle?

lizzieuk1

Visit site
sounded ok to begin with! some saddles do have a high pommel, often for the higher withered horses and as you say for deeper seated styles, BUT saddle slipping forward is not a good sign, sure it's in the right place to begin with? if so then def sounds as though it doesn't fit well, did you tell the saddler about the movement? basically the saddle shouldn't sit onto the shoulder blade at all but should be just behind it, maybe check this when its in the forward position. seems strange that 2 'experts' think its ok.

AliJo

Visit site
I have only recently been doing some schooling so when the saddlers came out I wasn't aware of this problem of the saddle slipping forwards - its been o.k for general hacking. I will double-check my girth next time in case it wasn't done up tightly enough as that is something I've just thought of. I'll probably end up finding another saddle anyway as I just don't feel this is the right one for her.