Saddle recommendations for gypsy cob

boxcarhorse

Visit site
I have a traditional gypsy cob 'project' for the winter. She's about 15hh and super wide, a real flat, table top back. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive saddle that fits that shape?

Many thanks

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I fit many traditional cobs, if XXW or wider, in a very flat hoop tree - you need to look for a wide pommel, wide twist and seat (some very wide saddles have a more figure of 8 shape to them when viewed from above, and that middle bit can give a pivot point) and a very flat seat, don't just look at pommel height and cantle height, look at the bit in between, is it open and flat, or a continuous curve? Even if a very shallow seat the latter shape can be too curvy. Inexpensive on tricky to fit horses isn't always possible, I'd search for something used that fits the above bill. If you want to send me nekkid photos of the cob I could give you an idea of if what I'm thinking of would fit, then you could see if you could find one.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ditto what Steph is saying basically.

A difficult one if its a winter project and OP is hoping to sell on in the spring? Or winter loan???

Personally I'd say don't be tempted towards the Wintec Wide.......... they're supposed to be designed for wide cobs but frankly they are awful, I've got one for mine and am very aware that its not the best fit I could achieve; but regretfully has to "do", for now, until something else comes up at a price I can afford.

Have also tried the Thorowgood T4 Cob on him; I found that incredibly uncomfortable; there's another thread running on here re. Thorowgood Cob saddles.

hippocobamus

Visit site
My tabletop hippocob goes in a SMART Native saddle, following unsuccessful attempts with multiple other 'cob' saddles. Absolutely love mine, as does everybody that rides him in it. Definitely worth looking into.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I use a Heather Moffett treeless for my gypsy cob, but he is only 5 and still growing, so I am waiting until he stops before buying another saddle. I bought my saddle from ebay and while not cheap it is cheaper. I had borrowed one to try. I would avoid cheap makes. I started Moses in a throwogood cob wide, which was nice. Its on ebay now