Saddle refitted?

HugoBoss11

New User
Visit site
Hi,
I’m so excited as my daughter has just had a new loan horse contract agreed. This is a mother (me) and daughter share. My daughter is 12 and has had lessons weekly for 3 years + and a (different) loan horse for 2 years. Last loan was very much learning the ropes of horse care. Not much riding that stretched her and all the grunt work. We loved it but now ready for next step up. We are now loaning a gorgeous cob that’s been out of work for a year. His owner is older and much taller and heavier that my daughter. We need to very slowly bring this horse back into work which is a project we are both excited for. My question is should I have a saddler come and check his saddle before we start our training? Last loan owner was the same age/size as my daughter so all tack worked fine but the disparity on this loan is huge so likely the saddle is for a heavier, taller person. We had a quick walk on him during our loaning vetting as he was as good as gold, but we could barely do the girth up. Very happy to buy a new saddle (that we will keep) if needed. Does one saddle fit the horse and is good for anyone or should I get a new one for the rider (my daughter)? Only she will be riding him for the next 1 year+. As I said the horse has been out of work for a while and I don’t want cause him any discomfort.

BigRedDog

Visit site
If the horse has been out of work for a year you need to get a saddle fitter out to check the current saddle still fits, probably won’t but maybe it can be adjusted and/or reflocked for horse. Then you and your daughter need to ride in it to check it is a good fit and comfortable for you.
You may need to buy a new saddle to make sure all of you are happy.

little_critter

Visit site
Agreed, the horse will have lost muscle from not working so the saddle will need to be checked before you start work.
Also be aware that there is a chance the owner has seen a good opportunity to get someone else to do the boring work of bringing a horse back into work and getting it fit. There is a risk they might end the loan when you’ve done your ‘job’
Also bear in mind the horse might be a different kettle of fish once it’s fit.

Do you have a plan for bringing the horse back into work? Eg x weeks walk work etc

HugoBoss11

New User
Visit site
Agreed, the horse will have lost muscle from not working so the saddle will need to be checked before you start work.
Also be aware that there is a chance the owner has seen a good opportunity to get someone else to do the boring work of bringing a horse back into work and getting it fit. There is a risk they might end the loan when you’ve done your ‘job’

Do you have a plan for bringing the horse back into work? Eg x weeks walk work etc

I don’t think the owner will do that- she has had a change in circumstances and carrying a bit of weight so can’t ride at the moment. We have a loose connection in some friends as well and I got the impression she just wants a few years off and for someone else to enjoy him. I guess it is a risk we take.
I’ll def get the saddle checked- I probably should organise that now as I imagine there will be a bit of a wait and we want to get cracking.
I haven’t sat down and written out a plan just yet- the owner said she would do it with me, but there are a few 12 week programmes I’ve read online. I def want to have a programme to follow as I don’t want to push him and not done this before. I imagine we will prob take longer than 12 weeks as want to do it slowly and get my daughter and him to get to know each other and build some trust. I just can’t wait!