Saddle rejection. Help!

P.forpony

Visit site
Very frustrated, any advice or suggestions gratefully received on my saddle woes.

14hh connie XXW gullet fitting very flat back slightly bum high massive shoulders.

Currently in an ancient and very tatty 16in saddle co WH, with a poly pad and a sheepskin half pad underneath... unconventional I know, but this set up has been pronounced an ok fit, however my knees stick right off the knee rolls.

Over the course of 2 years I have had 4 highly recommended master saddlers (and 2 holistic ones) out to try and get a nice new saddle for pony.
Every single fitting ends the same. Saddlers scratching heads saying saddle fits pony perfectly, pony clearly disagreeing. Throwing head around, refusing to go forwards bucking etc.
She will usually tolerate it at first and get more and more cross the longer you ride in it.
We just can’t seem to figure out what it is that she’s objecting to.

I have been told it would be possible to get her current saddle refurbished and more forward flaps put on to allow me more knee room, which I would be happy with, but I’m hesitant to do so in case changing something causes her to reject this one too.

Has anyone else had a horse that hasn’t read the saddle fitting textbook and how have you moved forwards?

Back, teeth, ulcer status all checked, pony is happy and healthy, just a nightmare to fit.

RHM

Visit site
My fell pony is like this, he also has completely flat back and massive shoulders. He is just really unhappy in most saddles which people say fit! I settled on a treeless in the end, he is ridden in a barefoot saddle. He is semi retired though so we just hack out but it does the job for that!

Bernster

Visit site
Tbh the only thing I can think of is are you sure there’s no back pain or discomfort going on? otherwise it seems quite odd given what you’ve said and it does sound like there is something bothering her.

I’m currently looking at serge panel saddles which apparently can also be good for horses who have taken against traditional fit leather ones. Are the new saddles serge panel too? Do they have the same flocking material?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I too would try treeless. We got solutions saddles for two of ours. Sisters westphalian kat blood had a flat back and absolutely massive shoulders, she tolerated saddles, and we used about 4 different ones as she changed shape and got fitter! She was never really comfortable, we think because her shoulder was always restricted. She blossomed with the solution and loved it. The other was for a very short backed Appie she died 16 1/2 " saddle, but i am 5'6" with long thighs! The solution fitted is both and we were very happy with the result.

P.forpony

Visit site
Tbh the only thing I can think of is are you sure there’s no back pain or discomfort going on? otherwise it seems quite odd given what you’ve said and it does sound like there is something bothering her.

I’m currently looking at serge panel saddles which apparently can also be good for horses who have taken against traditional fit leather ones. Are the new saddles serge panel too? Do they have the same flocking material?

It’s really interesting you mentioned the serge panels her current saddle has them and was mentioned by a previous fitter. She called her the princess and the pea and said the flex tree/Serge panels/poly pad/sheepskin might just be working together because she insists on that level of comfort.
They are wool flocked as normal yes. But quite tricky to find in new saddles.
I think it’s difficult to rule out pain entirely but given she goes well in her current saddle and I’ve had her checked by both vet and back people I still think it’s unlikely.

P.forpony

Visit site
I too would try treeless. We got solutions saddles for two of ours. Sisters westphalian kat blood had a flat back and absolutely massive shoulders, she tolerated saddles, and we used about 4 different ones as she changed shape and got fitter! She was never really comfortable, we think because her shoulder was always restricted. She blossomed with the solution and loved it. The other was for a very short backed Appie she died 16 1/2 " saddle, but i am 5'6" with long thighs! The solution fitted is both and we were very happy with the result.

I would be open to a treeless but I'm quite restricted in type because she’s mostly a hunting pony, so it can’t look too outlandish and has to provide a reasonable degree of support. That said we did used to go XC in a thorn pad ? but since I got the weight off her she needs something with a gullet for wither clearance.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I would be open to a treeless but I'm quite restricted in type because she’s mostly a hunting pony, so it can’t look too outlandish and has to provide a reasonable degree of support. That said we did used to go XC in a thorn pad ? but since I got the weight off her she needs something with a gullet for wither clearance.
Have a look at solutions, they do look very traditional so might well work for you.

Britestar

Visit site
In my past, I fitted saddles, and came across a similar pony. Her saddle technically was not a great fit, but she did everything required of her at PC with a smile on her face.

I came in when she moved to a new loan home, and they wanted something that looked nicer and fitted better. The pony did not agree. Not matter what was put on, she bucked, kicked, refused to go forwards, dumped the child etc. Old tatty saddle back on, loveliest pony you could wish for. Decided that she knew best and left it.

Few years later, same pony gets taken on loan by a friend who rings and says, can you look at this saddle please - recognise the pony and tell them, no that's what she likes stick with it.

P.forpony

Visit site
In my past, I fitted saddles, and came across a similar pony. Her saddle technically was not a great fit, but she did everything required of her at PC with a smile on her face.

I came in when she moved to a new loan home, and they wanted something that looked nicer and fitted better. The pony did not agree. Not matter what was put on, she bucked, kicked, refused to go forwards, dumped the child etc. Old tatty saddle back on, loveliest pony you could wish for. Decided that she knew best and left it.

Few years later, same pony gets taken on loan by a friend who rings and says, can you look at this saddle please - recognise the pony and tell them, no that's what she likes stick with it.

Yes! This seems to be her exactly, glad we’re not the only ones.

Brownmare

Visit site
I had a connie x ID who was a very similar shape to what you describe. She had a proper bucking habit until I got her a Solution treeless saddle and then she turned into an angel! We hunted in it and everything and she loved it. I won't use anything else now.

SEL

Visit site
I used to be on livery with a girl who has a Connie in a wow saddle. She said technically the saddle didn't fit - it was bought for her sister's horse - but he had a meltdown when it was adjusted. So he stayed technically incorrect but happy.

Cragrat

Visit site
We had a warmblood exactly the same....with a serge panel Saddle Company saddle :)

The saddle fitter wasn't impressed at all, and my daughter found it really uncomfy to ride in. But everything else the saddle fitter said was a perfect fit, and my daughter loved, the horse hated.

We ended up keeping the the saddle and getting bum saver for my daughter:)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I used to have a TBxWelshD who much preferred a serge pannelled saddle to any other. She liked the big, heavy side-saddle in preference to a leather pannelled GP and was fine with a GP with a softer underside.

Bernster

Visit site
Interesting re the serge panels. New saddler says some horses just won’t tolerate anything else. Apparently they can feel much more consistent on the horses back. Have one on trial to see if finnegan goes well in it. I really don’t like it as it’s totally the wrong fit for me. But trial is for him not me, but not sure how long I’ll be able to tolerate it!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Only this weekend my saddler showed me a “therapy” saddle..made by Wintec in a fabric..it is light and was offered to my daughters broad sway backed mare. I’m told it is used as a transition saddle for thoroughbreds coming off the track and being retrained...might be worth a try?