Saddle rubs after full clip

archoak

Visit site
Had our mare fully clipped for the first time this year and have noticed a slightly rubbed patch of hair when we removed her saddle yesterday. Is this normal, it's not sore just sort of rough and her saddle was checked and reflocked in April, we use a numed sheepskin numnah but have got a numed padded one and wonder if that would be better. Any ideas
confused.gif

Edit: Have weigh taped her and she hasn't changed.

Louby

Visit site
This happened to my old horse when she was fully clipped. Her saddle was correctly fitted but it had rubbed under the seat bit, if you know what I mean. I realise youve tried it but a sheepskin pad stopped it rubbing and I never clipped out the saddle area again.

mpicton

Visit site
Tough one, at least you will know for next year.

I would suggest either a sheepskin or nice soft and padded cotton numnah (maybe polypad) and make sure her back and numnah are always clean. If its a specific area you could try using a small amount of vaseline or something similar to releive the rubbing.

archoak

Visit site
Thank you all very much - my numed is the same as a polypad so will use that from now on, we are lucky enough to have a yard washing machine so its easy to keep things clean
smile.gif
I will try the vaseline too.

tractorgirl

Visit site
I had the same problem last year and eventually, working on the same principle as his rugs, lined a prolite half pad with silk (stuck on with copydex!!) which seemed to solve the problem - the saddle slid over the hair rather than rubbing if you know what I mean. Don't try it with a full numnah though - your whole saddle will slip!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
This happens with my boy. The saddles fit, he has a prolite pad etc but still gets the rub marks. I spoke to both saddler & vet about it. Although it doesn't look very nice, and everyone thinks you must have the worst fitting saddle in the world it is not a problem for the horse. Apparantly, so I'm advised, that it is due to the change in the horses coat, it is more brittle and so is more suseptable to being rubbed than in the spring/summer. He's never sore or twitchy when you touch the spot either.

archoak

Visit site
Thanks Toby_Zaphod horses have a way of making you feel bad don't they
laugh.gif
Molly's aren't sore, I know her saddle fits, her coat is much finer now with not so much padding and I think the thicker pad will help
smile.gif