saddle security 3.5t horsebox

kezimac

Visit site
So have new little lorry - its a new conversion.

its based on a mercedes sprinter and is fab , however if i go somewhere untack my horse and leave ramp down, there is no real security for saddle being pinched. I have a large area where i can either build something or fix something like a tack pack. But just wondered what everyone in same situation does??

those of you with 3.5t van conversions must all be in same boat as they just have a saddle rack at rear but most of them you could just lean over and take saddle

Its a wow saddle and not sure if would even fit in a tack pack - so what so people use and recommend?

cheers

Leg_end

Visit site
Not sure.. I've got an external tack locker.. But I guess you could either lock it in the cab or get a tack locker..

Last edited:

AutumnRose

Visit site
Have to say I just leave mine in the back when I'm riding....I have a lockable cupboard on the outside but it's not big enough for tack. Tbh I've never thought about it (possibly stupidly!!) but at competitions you always see tack left out/lockers open etc. If I was somewhere different, perhaps the car park at the beach I'd put the ramp up and lock up properly.
Not much help at all am I?!

kezimac

Visit site
Have to say I just leave mine in the back when I'm riding....I have a lockable cupboard on the outside but it's not big enough for tack. Tbh I've never thought about it (possibly stupidly!!) but at competitions you always see tack left out/lockers open etc. If I was somewhere different, perhaps the car park at the beach I'd put the ramp up and lock up properly.
Not much help at all am I?!

i suppose i never thought about it before but knowing someone whose purse got nicked from lorry, you never know about saddle and as its a wow saddle its not cheap
think am after some sort of locker - just not sure if saddle will fit in it or not
OR do i get a lockable saddle rack and will they fit over a wow saddle

Pidgeon

Visit site
Pop the ramp up and lock it, that's what we do with our lorry as tack kept in the horse area. We can lock the living seperately and leave horse area open but no good for tack. Just get used to doing it I suppose.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
OR do i get a lockable saddle rack and will they fit over a wow saddle

My yard has those Stubbs red&yellow lockable saddle racks. both of my Wows fit on those with a padlock done up :)

I'm sure if you were really determined then you could break the lock, but in your situation I doubt they could do so without being noticed.

kezimac

Visit site
ooh that might do the trick then as will also keep the weight down too! - i am getting a little seat put in as well so can put 'stuff' in there and i do have space on one wall for saddle rack but didnt want to put one up if wow wouldnt fit. hmmm good ideas. cheers

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
take your saddle to a shop that sells them if you want to be really sure, they are snug but fit without being squashed in! (both mine are size 2, one dressage on a shallow seat and one xc on a flat seat if that helps).

kezimac

Visit site
yes will see if robinsons sell them - mines a size 1 but its a dressage deep seat and huge blocks on flaps.
cheers

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I've never really thought a whole lot about this, but my most expensive piece of kit, my saddle....is generally ON the horse when I'm at a show and I'm not at the lorry. Or if I am not riding, and I'm off to the loo or getting a sandwich or something, then the saddle is on it's peg and the horse is on the lorry. And because the saddle is in the horsebox bit and awkward to get past the horse to get to the saddle, I can just lock the jockey door and feel that unless someone wants to go thru the effort to unload the horse to get to my saddle then it's fairly safe. If I was worried that someone might want to go thru that effort, or if I had the horse in hand or whatever, I could always put the saddle in the cab and lock that.