Saddle Shopping for XW coloured cob

Cloud9

Visit site
Well I have finally decided that as I have moved yards and am now doing alot more schooling with a goal of doing the odd dressage test I should treat myself to a new saddle. After searching the forum is looks like Ideal, Thorowgood Cob or possibly a Farrington are the best options.

So any advice................... Such an expense I need to be sure on what I am doing and have as much advice as possible.

My horse i 15hh coloured medium to hw cob with huge shoulders. Do i go for a gp of vsd (don't think I need a dressage as like my hacking). He seems to be a XW tree fitting. He has quite a curved back and saddles have always slipped back in the past.

Local saddler suggested an Albion Tzar but funds not quite running to £1500.

Seen a couple on saddles direct but would still need a fitter out.

Is an XW Ideal H&C be similar in tree width to XW Thorowgood or do they differ greatly.

Cloud9

Visit site
Great thanks for that - they look nice - think the Sienna looks nice - £1000 my max really so definitely an option.

domane

Visit site
I had a Silhouette for my wiiiiiiiiiide Irish cob mare and it fitted her very nicely :)

If you can overlook the fact that I'm wonky as the pic was snapped, you can see just how wide she was....

20C47A1.jpg

Last edited:

Cloud9

Visit site
I had a Silhouette for my wiiiiiiiiiide Irish cob mare and it fitted her very nicely :)

If you can overlook the fact that I'm wonky as the pic was snapped, you can see just how wide she was....

!!! Jeez thats wide - my boy not that wide !! He is currently in a Silhouette actually but its not wide enough over withers so sits up quite high. The panels don't seem wide enough now. Great comfy saddle though in all other ways.

Theresa_F

Visit site
He sounds similar to my gypsy cob. Stinky is now just grown into a XW and has very large shoulders. Our Clydesdale is almost the same, but is not quite as wide as him, but again has large shoulders.

Farra has a Forrester saddle - these are great for large shouldered natives and were originally aimed at the NF ponies.

Stinky did have a Silhoutte which was a very comfortable saddle but he is now in a Saddle Company which is not only very comfortable but extremely secure for jumping. It is also adjustable as he continues to grow.

I use working hunter saddles which for me are perfect as I can do dressage, jumping and showing with them.

Both of mine are not the flat table top back types, they have withers but need XW as they are heavy boned chunky types.

This is Farra in the Forrester - it is a little short as it is a 17" but I am very short and the people who ride her are not large either.

Farra-Aug2010.jpg

this is Stinky with the SC

StinkyqualfiedRIHS.jpg

I have used all these saddles on both horses as they fit them both, though the Forrester suited Farra better than Chancer.

Cloud9

Visit site
TheresaF your coloured cob is gorgeous - absolutely stunning. Mine is well marked but hogged - if he had a mane and feather like his I would leave mine traditional. Mine is of a very similar build too.

Oh decisions decisions - so many nice options to choose from!!

meesha

Visit site
Lovely pics ! I had a Native Pony Saddle for my wide Sec D - never slipped and we do lots of hills ! also used on my youngster and again never slipped even when he was changing shape - I have now moved on to a jump saddle (which has the same tree) but would recommend Native pony Saddles they are specifically designed for wider types and come in all sizes - I think mine was around £895 new (they do come up on ebay occasionally though and the company sells second hand)- I also got the stirrup leathers to match and they never marked the saddle or stretched - well worth the money.

Good luck x

Herpesas

Visit site
Lavinia Mitchell saddles go a LOT wider than average saddles and the trees have a more natural shape.

A lot of 'XWide' saddles have a loads of room at the front but the spinal clearance is pitiful at the back!

jojo5

Visit site
I have a wide, flat- withered cob and the two saddles that have been the only ones to fit him were a Forester which another poster has mentioned, and an Ideal one specifically for Highlands which has been a great saddle for many years.