Saddle shopping help WWYD

andytiger

Visit site
Hi just need some advice I don't really know what to do so I thought I'd ask you guys
I need a new dressage saddle I bought a secondhand saddle ALbion from eBay it has never been the best fit was fitted by professional saddler and was told I would need a new one when he's filled out
I have saved some money and have around 2k
Here is my problem my current tack is brown and I ride in a fairfax bridle which I love my horse goes really well in it it cost £400 and don't want to change it
However really hard to get a dressage saddle in brown really limits my choice also if I want to PX in future my saddler will not take a brown dressage saddle as no one wants them so WWYD

1. Spend 2k on black saddle and have tack that doesn't match
2. Spend 2k on a brown saddle and limit my choice and resale value
3. Buy a cheaper dressage in black and purchase a matching fairfax bridle

Any other ideas I would apperciate

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Actually because brown is pretty rare I think it can be pretty popular when they come up for resale, I jumped on mine!

I think it depends a bit on personal preference, I like and wanted brown and although I had a couple of nice brown bridles (main one being a Jeffries traditional) they weren't the sort of ££ you are talking. I think if you would prefer brown to look at get the brown :).

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Get a brown one. You'll get a lovely second hand one for far less than that price and unlikely to lose a lot of money on second hand either.

Last edited:

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
It sounds silly, but do whatever makes you happiest, you're not buying to sell on, you're buying for you to look at, use and enjoy so just do what you want to.

Plus you have managed to save some money now so whats to say you couldn't if you wanted or needed a new saddle and couldn't sell yours for as much as you wanted.

You're not buying to sell on, you're buying for you to look at, use and enjoy so just do what you want to.

ponies4ever

Visit site
As someone with bad experience with getting saddles that fit just go with whatever fits best. Much as it pains me I have ended up with a brown bridle and black saddle as it was the one that worked.

Fun Times

Visit site
If you like the Fairfax bridle, try the Fairfax Gareth Hughes dressage saddle - I love mine and its got adjustable gullet. Don't know if they do them in brown though!

eggs

Visit site
Once you are sitting on it no-one is going to notice if your saddle and bridle don't match. Buy whatever suits the pair of you best.

madamebonnie

Visit site
I have set my saddler the tough job of finding me a second hand brown dressage saddle to fit high whither TB...probably hates me but said I'm prepared to wait as I have one that currently fits him just not very nice for me.

If you can get what fits in brown go for it. I bet you won't have a problem selling it on.