Saddle shopping - suggestions please!

Tash88

Visit site
Afternoon all,

Will try to keep this brief as I am meant to be working...

My 11 y/o WB x TB has changed shape significantly and his saddle is now too tight. He has a much bigger shoulder now and needs something to accommodate this, so I guess I'd need something that's cut away at the shoulder slightly?

He is currently in a Fairfax (old model but a lovely saddle) with a wide plate. Yesterday the saddler changed it into a wide plate (from M/W) and reflocked it, and it was better but he didn't go as well in that as he did in a saddle I borrowed from my trainer yesterday to hack out in. This is a Black Country Vinici dressage saddle (http://www.blackcountrysaddles.com/vinici-dressage/). It is XW and so is too wide for him, but we padded it out a bit. Of course this is not ideal but he was much more forward and relaxed in it, and I sat better too. I'm having a lesson in it this evening so will be interesting to see how that goes.

To be honest he has never been in such good shape before and so I think I need to have a complete re-think on what kind of dressage saddle to go for. His saddles have always been checked regularly and have fitted him, but I have never been 'in love' with them, if that makes sense. I want to try a selection and get as close to perfect for both of us as I can. The saddler yesterday said that my Fairfax fit him but he wouldn't choose it if he was starting afresh, so I think I should be looking for something different.

I am open to new or second hand, I think the criteria need to be good security for me and something that would give enough room for his shoulders to move freely. He is compact (16.1hh and takes a 6ft/6'3" rug) and has reasonably high withers.

So suggestions from dressage saddle experts welcome! Money not really an object at this stage as I will probably have to put it on a credit card and I just want it to suit my horse and I.

Thanks in advance, Tx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If you like the black country one you tried how about going for one of those, I really rate black country saddles was going to buy a new showing saddle for one of my horses before he went lame, I did have one on loan from my saddler and really loved it and my horse went really well in it so they are definitely a saddle brand I would go for, I did have a lovely ideal Jessica dressage saddle only sold it as it ended up not fitting either of my horses I was gutted as it was so comfortable and looked lovely.

I have a lavinia Mitchell saddle for one of mine at the moment and I absolutely love that best thing I ever did buying it, my horse had muscle wastage from a to narrow saddle, her saddles are fitted slightly different she goes wider and uses a shim numnah to allow for the muscle to come back and it has really worked for my horse, they are the most comfortable saddles everyone who sits on mine comments how comfy it is.

BandL

Visit site
I love my WOW dressage saddle! I feel secure and comfortable in it and both of my horses have worn it over the last few years and both move/feel great in it. You can select many different options and they are easy to have altered by a WOW saddle fitter if your horse changes shape. Brand new they are extremely pricey but both online or through a saddle fitter you should be able to source a good quality second hand saddle for between £700-£900.

Tash88

Visit site
I have a lavinia Mitchell saddle for one of mine at the moment and I absolutely love that best thing I ever did buying it, my horse had muscle wastage from a to narrow saddle, her saddles are fitted slightly different she goes wider and uses a shim numnah to allow for the muscle to come back and it has really worked for my horse, they are the most comfortable saddles everyone who sits on mine comments how comfy it is.

Thanks - in fact the Black Country one I am trying is a Lavinia Mitchell - I think Lavinia may have adapted it? Would that make sense? I've just had a look at her website and it isn't the same as any of hers, but I guess she could have put her stamp on it. I can find out tonight.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
ive got an albion legend which is really comfy and fitted my warmblood cross who was quite wide....comfort is a very individual thing as my friend who is a dressage rider rode my horse, loved the horse but didnt like the saddle...i rode her horse and didnt like her saddle...i found my horse quite difficult to fit and tried about 10 before i found one that we both were happy with so i think thats what you need to do.

Tash88

Visit site
I love my WOW dressage saddle! I feel secure and comfortable in it and both of my horses have worn it over the last few years and both move/feel great in it. You can select many different options and they are easy to have altered by a WOW saddle fitter if your horse changes shape. Brand new they are extremely pricey but both online or through a saddle fitter you should be able to source a good quality second hand saddle for between £700-£900.

Thank you - I have ridden my friend's horse in her WOW saddle and it is lovely, however I am not sure how it would work with my horse. I will need to do some research. The fact it is quite difficult to find a WOW saddle fitter is a slight concern too.

Wheels

Visit site
If shoulder movement is your goal then wow is the way to go. Where are you based? Are there no wow fitters in your area or travel to your area?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks - in fact the Black Country one I am trying is a Lavinia Mitchell - I think Lavinia may have adapted it? Would that make sense? I've just had a look at her website and it isn't the same as any of hers, but I guess she could have put her stamp on it. I can find out tonight.

she may have done I don't know I know she also stocks and fits saddle company saddles.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Shoulder freedom is most people's goal, it comes from the correct fit, with tree points well behind the shoulder blade (no gimmicks like split panels usually needed) and a good flat and generous fit around the back of the trapezius muscle.

Tash88

Visit site
If shoulder movement is your goal then wow is the way to go. Where are you based? Are there no wow fitters in your area or travel to your area?

That is interesting - a friend who isn't far from me bought a WOW saddle recently and loves it so I'd probably ask her who she used to fit it etc.

Thanks for posting.

PS. I am in Surrey

Last edited:

Tash88

Visit site
she may have done I don't know I know she also stocks and fits saddle company saddles.

She didn't - it just had a Lavinia Mitchell cover and I am using one of her special pads with it. It is just a Back Country Vinici.

I am unsure of what to do now - I had a lesson in the Black Country saddle yesterday and my horse definitely likes it and I definitely prefer it to my Fairfax, but I can't help thinking that there could be something 'better' and so I don't want to buy the first thing I like. I want to try a proper Lavinia Mitchell saddle and I have had a fitter recommended so think I will make an appointment with her, and also have my saddler come out with some other options. This could end up being rather expensive even before I buy the saddle!!

Tash88

Visit site
ive got an albion legend which is really comfy and fitted my warmblood cross who was quite wide....comfort is a very individual thing as my friend who is a dressage rider rode my horse, loved the horse but didnt like the saddle...i rode her horse and didnt like her saddle...i found my horse quite difficult to fit and tried about 10 before i found one that we both were happy with so i think thats what you need to do.

Thank you - I have ridden in an Albion before but that was on a horse who is completely different to mine so can't relate that to how it will suit mine. This is why I want to try loads - I'm certainly not averse to an Albion.