Saddle Size

wiglet

Visit site
I'm tentatively looking for a new saddle - a second hand one, can't afford brand new. My current saddle is 17.5 and fits me and my horse well.

I've seen the perfect saddle online - it's fully adjustable and is fitted with Flair so I can have it adjusted (hopefully) for the perfect fit.

The seat size is 17" though. Would this make it a non-starter? Would I feel a noticeable difference in seat size?
Anyone?

blitznbobs

Visit site
I'm tentatively looking for a new saddle - a second hand one, can't afford brand new. My current saddle is 17.5 and fits me and my horse well.

I've seen the perfect saddle online - it's fully adjustable and is fitted with Flair so I can have it adjusted (hopefully) for the perfect fit.

The seat size is 17" though. Would this make it a non-starter? Would I feel a noticeable difference in seat size?
Anyone?

SeAat size is more about the rider than the horse (if going shorter) but not all 17 inch saddles are made equal... I have an 18 inch that is shorter than a 17 inch... but your post begs the question, if you are short of cash , and have a saddle that fits you both why change?

Wheels

Visit site
For the saddle to work then it has to fit. Flair is a great invention but the rest of the saddle Inc tree shape, panel shape, width, tree size etc all has to be correct. Flair is great for very small very precise adjustments but can't make a saddle fit

If you are on a budget then buying second hand online without trying the saddle first may leave you well out of pocket

wiglet

Visit site
SeAat size is more about the rider than the horse (if going shorter) but not all 17 inch saddles are made equal... I have an 18 inch that is shorter than a 17 inch... but your post begs the question, if you are short of cash , and have a saddle that fits you both why change?

I forgot to mention my existing saddle is gp - the saddle I'm looking at is dressage.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
My GP is a 17.5inch, and my dressage is a 17inch (same brand). I don't really find a noticeable difference, but 17.5inch is probably on the bigger side for me anyway. Horse is perfectly happy in both.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
How tall are you? I can't fit in most 17 inch saddles as although I'm a size 8 - 10, I'm 5'10". However I have a 17 inch dressage saddle which suits both me and my horse fine. I have tried numerous GPs and can't find one which suits both of us as my mare can only take a 17 inch. All brands of saddle are different though and so some 17 inch saddles feel bigger than other 17.5 inch.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It's more common to go up half an inch that down, as dressage saddles are deeper and have larger blocks closer to the lowest part of the seat. However half an inch bigger may be too long for your horse. I would check with a fitter, have one see your horse ideally. Equally I've had plenty of people who were in 17.5 who thought they fit them who were much better in smaller saddles. 17.5 are the most common so do get fitted on occasions where they are too big for the rider.

wiglet

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's comments.
I'm going to leave it for now. To be honest, deep down I know a 17.5 would be better for me. The saddle I'm looking at has a very deep seat so I'm thinking the 17" will feel like a small 17". I will bide my time and wait for something with a 17.5 seat to become available.
Thanks again.