Saddle slipping

jemstone

Visit site
I have got a fairly new saddle after a very long process of getting one to fit my oddly shaped Welsh Sec D!

The problem is that it slips forward as he doesn't really have any withers and is quite downhill to ride. It is annoying me and him and wondered if there were any devices to stop it doing that that doesn't involve using a Crupper?!
blush.gif

Does anyone have any ideas?
confused.gif

Thanks

vic07

Visit site
dressage fore girth - apparently not reccommended by saddlers and not sure you can get them anymore but this was what I was told to use by a dressage trainer who was on GB pony scene!

Like a roller that goes in front of saddle and prevents it going forwards.

Vey

Visit site
Personally, having gone through the same thing with a similarly shaped animal (including two made to measure saddles) I would buy a treeless. If you are showing, you can now get saddles that look almost the same as a treed saddle - and have the advantage of fitting and not slipping.

AlexThe Arab

Visit site
Breeching Strap ? Had an Arab of a similar shape to your horse with the same problem of the saddle slipping up his neck and the breeching strap was a lot kinder than a crupper IMHO. Don't know if they are easily available, the saddle maker (Free n Easy) made and supplied their own.

ClareMc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, having gone through the same thing with a similarly shaped animal (including two made to measure saddles) I would buy a treeless. If you are showing, you can now get saddles that look almost the same as a treed saddle - and have the advantage of fitting and not slipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree. Had same problem and have found treeless fantastic. I know there are mixed views on the forum about treeless saddles though.