Saddle soreness/bruising- what can help it go away?

xCiaraGx

Visit site
Sadly my boys saddle has caused some general soreness after riding the last two days. I’ve since had it adjusted (needed a new gullet).

We have a big show on the 25th and 26th. His bodyworker/Chiro is unfortunately unable to come and give him a treatment between then and now, but has said to give him the rest of the week off and check for if the soreness has improved by the weekend.

I want to help, I will withdraw if needs be but if there’s a way to get the soreness better then I want to try.

Should I bute him for a few days?

Heat pads or try borrow a massage pad?

Help!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If it’s muscle soreness then a short course of bute should help, but as ever do check with your vet first that they recommend the bute for this horse. Stay off the horse for now, but you can, of course, work or exercise him in hand and ask him to stretch down.

Gentle stroking hand massages, heat pads and/or a massage pad can help - but be led by the horse as to what he finds comfortable. Keep him warm over his back - if you can get your hands on a varilayer rug or liner that would be worth trying if he’s rugged.

Fingers crossed that the soreness will soon settle and you’ll both get to your big show 🙂.