Saddle styles

S_N

Visit site
OK, so I know this is forward planning, BUT, as I have a dressage saddle that can be altered to fit B (Saddle Company one), do you guys think that I should look for a Jumping Saddle or a GP? What worries me about a Jumping saddle is the need for an independant seat, as they are quite flat seated in general. I used to have a fairly independant seat, but that was when I was riding upwards or 2 horses everyday at college, 7+ years ago. I will be jumping her at some point and I know she has talent in that area. What do you guys think?

Sal_E

Visit site
Er, not sure really... I don't think the independant seat thing is very relevant - also I doubt you'll have lost the ability to ride! You'll instinctively get back into it. It's fine to jump in a GP unless you're planning on jumping big or really like to jack your stirrups up to jump - that said, you'll be able to school & hack in your dressage saddle (unless you hack with short stirrups due to lots of cantering...) so I don't know that it really matters. Maybe just try a few GP & jumping & see what you feel comfortable in...

Not much help really, am I??!

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Hi, I have been riding Axel in a dressage saddle since I backed him, but recently have got quite interested in jumping again.
Jumping in a dressage saddle is horrible!! I feel like I am about to fall off.
I borrowed a gp saddle last week and for the first 10 mins it felt awful but once I got used to it I was fine and it made such a difference to jump in. I have decided to buy a GP saddle now for jumping and hacking
smile.gif

Sam x

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
have you got on her yet???

[/ QUOTE ]

Chrikey NO!!!! I don't want to flatten her!!! I have quite a few pounds to go before I get on her!!

S_N

Visit site
I see your point - but I am VERY long from hip to knee............ Was wondering about having enough saddle under my knee to jump comfortably? I think B would quickly tire of jumping less than 3ft - though it will take me a while to work up to going over a pole raised off the ground
ooo.gif

hellyt1

Visit site
how much jumping are you realistically planning on doing? and will you be comfortable to hack out in a dressage saddle? difficult one!
would one of the ones with the interchangeable(sp) knee rolls be any good? I've never had any experience with them so i've no idea how good they are, could be the best of both worlds or are the a poor compromise?

S_N

Visit site
Well I do intend to eventually do a fair bit of jumping and I know I'll need bent legs and short stirrups when I re-start her - she's as agile as a cat and hasn't been ridden for over 2 yrs now
ooo.gif

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
isobel

i would have the new Saddle company Event. it is more forward cut than a Gp and has a standard seat - but is only available in a square cantle to allow your bottom to go back. you will be able to shorten as much as you want but remain totally secure.

By the way - I have now moved to Devon - near okehampton so not that far away. If you want to see one give me a shout and we can meet up at Launceston or somewhere nearby

jacqui