Saddle suggestion - small horse, tall rider

dixie

Visit site
Hi, I've bought a lovely new little horse. :)
He's a bit smaller than I'm used to and I am getting the saddler out on Tuesday to check my saddle. But I feel it might be too big for him and am pondering the types of styles we might need to look at. Obviously she will be able to advise but she doesn't really carry stock, so it will be up to me to source something.

Obviously it needs to fit him but I am quite leggy, so need something quite secure. He has a decent length of back, so I don't think the seat size will matter, just the length of leg. I need to jump in it as well as day to day hacking.

Has anyone else got a similar set up and what saddle do you use please.

ew0855

Visit site
I've just bought a WOW as able to fiddle around so much to find a combo that fits me (reasonable length of thigh and butt) and Ryan (relatively short back).
Read some mixed reviews before buying but Ryan definately a fan and seems to be suiting us both very well

paddi22

Visit site
I ride 14hh ponies at times and I like close contact jump saddles as I can get my stirrups quite short and bring my knee forward easily.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If he has a decent length of back (and bear in mind the only thing that counts is saddle platform length, not even ribcage length, let alone rug size https://www.ahsaddles.com/post/2019/04/30/horse-shopping-saddle-length-part-1) then you've likely not got a problem. If you prefer a GP - which often has a slightly deeper seat and a stirrup bar that isn't set forwards - then you may want high set blocks, perhaps on velcro, if you like doing all your riding in a jump saddle, and you might not know until you try, and it may depend on the jump saddle, then you'll have tons of leg room. Again having a high set triangular thigh rather than knee block can give a lot more leg room.

Your fitter should be able to tell you what to look for, but ultimately you may have to try more than one to see what you feel comfortable riding in, though you will have some ideas from what you've found has worked for you before.