Saddle that fits, lunging and riding

bluewhippet

Visit site
First of all, I have a happy horse really for the first time since I bought him with his saddle. After 8 months and 4 saddle fitters and a horse with a very sore back and a large physio bill, I have found a wonderful saddle fitter who found my gelding a saddle that fits.

The difference is amazing - he was very spooky and unbalanced and tight in the back and the combination of the saddle and his tension made me very tense as well. Now he has stopped being irritable in the stable and just hangs his head down waiting to nuzzle, he doesn't mind the girth being done up (before he looked like (and sometimes did) he wanted to eat lumps out of me), and he is long and low and doesn't buck in the canter, can actually do a slow canter and his spooks are negligible. And I spent ages fussing about my position because he was getting more and more difficult to work with, but now I can sit down properly, lengthen my stirrups and feel pretty stable (won't get too complacent though..).

I'll try to stop gushing and ask my question. While his back was sore I started lunging him: the physio wanted me to aim for long and low. Now I can ride again but would like to keep lunging. Just wondered how much was too much. Is it acceptable to lunge for half and hour and then go for an ambly type hack? Just love riding him so much I don't want to cut it out on lunging days. What is a good combination? He is totally sound, reasonably fit, 9 y o Arab who likes variety.

be positive

Visit site
Good that you have the saddle sorted, it should be fine to lunge then ride but I would reduce the time to about 20 mins it is hard work for them and the hack can be used as the final stretching and cool down time, as he gets stronger in his back he can then do more if needed, although you will probably find the ridden work will be enough once he is going really well.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I always fit in lunging into there work schedules it's great to see them which you don't do if you are always the one riding them. I would lunge and hack on the same day.

Rouletterose

Visit site
Glad to hear you are sorted at last, can you tell us the name of the saddler who really helped you? it's so hard to find a good one.