Saddle Trouble

Ravenwood

Visit site
At the end of April (when my horse is fittest and slimmest after a season's hunting) her saddle started to rub, there was just a small round raised lump on both sides just below and behind the wither. I turned her out for 8 weeks rest but the saddle had obviously been pinching her more than I realised as it took all of 8 weeks to heal and quite a large albeit scattered patch of white hair has grown through on both sides.

My friend (a trained saddler) came out and said that the saddle is definately too narrow i.e. just taking out some flocking won't be enough. So I have to buy a new saddle. I cannot sell the one I've got as it belongs to her previous owner, it is so lovely and comfortable I am almost tempted to look for a narrower horse!!!

This has really come at the wrong time as I have had so many unforeseen expenses lately that I am really struggling but obviously have to have a saddle as it is the start of the summer holidays and my daughter wants to ride out as much as possible and I have to accompany her.

So what are my choices - have been to two saddlers who seem to be selling a variety of second hand saddles that seem to me to be either very old and over priced or very expensive nearly new ones. I just can't find a reasonably priced reasonable saddle.

I realise that by buying a very expensive saddle is worthwhile in the long run as it will last me forever but I just can't justify the cost to myself or my family at the moment.

One saddler suggested a synthetic saddle at £300 new and says that he sells loads of them particularly with a changeable arch. But what if you are out in it all day in the pouring rain and surely its value would be very little in a few years time if I ever needed to change whereas a traditional leather saddle seem to hold their price.

Sorry long post, needed to get it off my chest and writing it down it helps!!!

berry

Visit site
Why can't you sell her old saddle??
I had the same trouble with my mare at the beginning of the year she was out of work for about 20 weeks. I could'nt afford to buy her a new leather one straight away so just got her a wintec 500 with cair and she goes really nicley in it.

L

lilym

i would buy a synthetic, there are some really decent 2nd hand ones around for about £150 or so, in fact i sold one a few weeks back for around that!! the wintec ones have a changeable gullet. the one i had i found quite comfy, and the new materials look as good as leather, in fact i would rather be out all day in rain in a synthetic than ruin a leather! cleaning is easy too!! for what you want it for i can highly reccommend a wintec!

Rizz1a

Visit site
might be worth getting a second hand WOW or Sue Carson saddle and then having it fitted for yourhorse.
However, yes there are some great synthetic ones which are hard to tell until very close up that they're not leather.

Vey

Visit site
Have you considered a second hand Saddle Co saddle? They cost about £300 second hand, and it costs, I blieve about £50 to have a fitter (these are Saddle co trained people) come and change the saddle to fit your horse - everything in these saddles can be changed very easily to ensure a really good fit. They are leather saddles with a synthetic underside.

Leigh

New User
Visit site
i've had a similar problem with my horse, his saddle was pinching either side of his back and i can't afford to buy a new one either. we tried on just about every saddle on the yard and none fit him well enough so i've spent the summer just riding bareback hehe it's gotten really comfy now that i'm so used to it and it must be working wonders for my balance!

flyingfeet

Visit site
You should be able to pick up a wintec for around £175 on eBay - these are very good for horses that change shape and they are very unlikely to pinch.

RachelB

Visit site
I agree, Wintecs are decently priced on eBay and even if you buy from a tack shop. You can see on eBay how much they go for as second hand too. I bought my Wintec pro dressage saddle with cair for £400 from my saddler, but managed to get my Wintec 2000 GP (flock) for £150 from eBay as a 6 month old, used once saddle. It is in immaculate condition and was a total bargain! Definately worth it, especially as my horse is now muscling up nicely and is constantly changing shape and gullet size!

Ravenwood

Visit site
Perhaps I should consider a Wintec more carefully especially if you think they are comfortable for horse and rider. Do they all come with changeable gullets? I will see if I can find a website.

TLL67

Visit site
I dislike Wintecs, I found them very uncomfortable, neddy didn't go much on them either.

Saddle Company Saddles are fab, the have adjustable trees, just a shame they don't go wide enough for my boy.