Saddle use after reflocking

Sleipnir

Visit site
I recently had my saddle reflocked and the saddler instructed me to ride the first 20 rides after the repair without a saddle pad, so that the horses' warmth and sweat would affect the wool flocking more and it would mold to the horses' back better.

Thing is - it's shedding season, there's rain and mud and the horse is harder to clean than any other time of the year (except for early spring :D ); he also lives outside and doesn't wear rugs. I am concerned that the dirt and sweat that may stick to the saddle, however well I clean the horse, and also cleaning and oiling it too often could ruin the leather, and would be much happier to use a pad underneath.

Have you heard of something like this from your saddlers, and how important is it really?

be positive

Visit site
That's a new one on me, my saddler flocks very soft so it sits well from day 1, better than before it was done, that is the whole point of having it fitted to the horse and seeing it in use when they do the fitting, I would be concerned that it is stuffed full and going to be hard whether there is a pad under it or not, some warmth will transfer into the wool anyway so I would use a thin pad under it.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You know, saddles used to be made to go directly on to the horse's back....numnahs and pads are a relatively new innovation, they should not be a necessity.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Thanks. Yes, I agree that a well fitting saddle can be used without a pad at all, and keeping that in mind I use only a thin cotton pad to prevent sweat and any dirt from damaging the leather. I actually prefer how a saddle looks without a pad at all. My main concern was, is it really vitally important for the flocking to "set in" to NOT use even a thin, simple pad, but I guess I'll just keep using it. :) The flocking doesn't seem to be too hard.

melbiswas

Visit site
I learnt to ride over 40 years ago with a lady who had been running a riding school for over 50 years. Everything was done in a very old fashioned way.
The saddle cloths used were more like large tea towels than today's numnahs and pads. They were there simply to help keep the saddles clean and were thin cotton cloths.
When I bought a new saddle with serge panels a few years ago I was advised to ride in walk for a short while to bed it in.

Last edited: