Saddle Woes - Advice Needed!

HayleyUK

Visit site
had the saddle fitter out today - who confirmed what we suspect- - new pony's saddle doesn't fit at all, and is probably a contributing factor to her lameness.

Saddle fitter thinks she will be nigh on impossible to fit a saddle for - so we are in it for the long haul with trial and error we think!

She described her as a scaled down horse - ie, short backed, high withered and curved.

Pony will need a 16.5inch saddle, maximum and a curved tree - something like an Albion SLK or possibly a Kieffer - but finding them in such dinky sizes is like hens teeth second hand

Saddler is hunting down something for us to try hopefully - but could anyone suggest any other brands/models that might suit?

Thanks

zoon

Visit site
I know they aren't exactly nice, but is a wintec not on a curved tree? I might be totally wrong and it has probably already been tried, but just incase!

HayleyUK

Visit site
Sadly not - Pony in question is just 5, so we bought her a wintec dressage saddle to use whilst she finished growing etc. Being frank, it couldn't fit her any worse if it tried!

Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Hello,

I have just bought a 16'' Prestige for my incredibly short coupled TB. Don't know what the tree is like but maybe one to run by your saddler as if it would suit it actually feels ok to ride in. I wouldn't choose a 16'' saddle but I can manage in this one. :)

HayleyUK

Visit site
I've tried Saddles Direct and couldn't see much in that size :( will call them though!

I'd probably be pushing it to squeeze into a 16inch - but there's an inventive to cut back on wine and choc!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I've tried Saddles Direct and couldn't see much in that size :( will call them though!

I'd probably be pushing it to squeeze into a 16inch - but there's an inventive to cut back on wine and choc!

Well I do and I am quite chubby. I do have short legs though to be fair! I'm also pretty sure the seat on my saddle rides big as I felt very hemmed in in my Wintec but fine in this :)

HayleyUK

Visit site
I'm 5'2ish and an 8/10 maybe a 10/12 ish.. Trainer is adamant I need a 17inch but accepts pony won't take that. Saddler was inclined to agree - I don't feel uncomfortable in my winter 16.5 though.

HayleyUK

Visit site
Thanks Sarah Jane, that is an option! However, I'm worried that as she's is 5, lacking top line and is really immature in muscle development it'd be an expensive short term measure. I was hoping an Albion etc would hold some value for resale in 6months or so when she finishes growing an muscling up.

I can post a picture to show what I mean if its useful!

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Every saddle is different A 17 inch Albion will be a lot longer than a 17 inch Equipe/ butet/devoucoux for example...

High withered and curved back sounds exactly the type of horse that the French close contact saddles are made for.. So try prestige , butet, devoucoux or Antares - all have banana shaped trees ( I.e curved ) and have many versions that would suit a high wither.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Every saddle is different A 17 inch Albion will be a lot longer than a 17 inch Equipe/ butet/devoucoux for example...

High withered and curved back sounds exactly the type of horse that the French close contact saddles are made for.. So try prestige , butet, devoucoux or Antares - all have banana shaped trees ( I.e curved ) and have many versions that would suit a high wither.

Yes this is what I have found. A 17" seat can be a shorter saddle than a 16.5" seat. It will be trial and error.

(I have a thorowgood griffin high wither 16.5" for sale, not sure if that would be any good??)

Jesstickle

Visit site
My brand new Prestige was £900.

You have a good budget, I'm surprised you fitter seems to think you are going to have so much of a problem to be honest.

Also that your instructor and fitter are so convinced you need a 17'' seat. They are all quite different, I'm sure with your budget and the fact you are slim and quite short you shouldn't struggle that much!

Llanali

Visit site
It's a marmite option, but a WoW could have panels in a16" and a 17" seat for you. Likewise, as the horse changes you could change air, panels and head plate, all to fit whilst retaining your flap and seat of choice.

Not every horse or rider likes them but it could be an option worth looking at :)

HayleyUK

Visit site
Fitter seemed to think I'd be looking at £700+ for something to fit her preloved...? Worried that I may not need to spend that much and she's making ££££ on the fact she's a difficult shape?

Llanali

Visit site
I agree, not to everyone's taste but the set up can vary the look a lot- the GP looks awful, and some people have flat seats with dressage flaps which look odd, but IMO the pure dressage, or a pure jumping look ok :)

Suzie G

Visit site
Have you had a 2nd opinion from another saddle fitter.

We had the opposite problem to you, needed a saddle for a wide flat backed short pony.

1st saddle fitter was useless but then got a better one who found me a good saddle.

Unfortunately now the pony has lost weight and gained muscle it doesn't fit and I'm struggling to get him to come back out to re-fit it.

Luci07

Visit site
Much as I truly love the SLK it does have very broad panels. Suited my WB x, didn't suit any of my ISH's.

I would give saddles direct a call to be put on their list. Would see if you could go to a 17" as easier to buy AND resell. You could always put up a wanted ad?

HayleyUK

Visit site
Is Saddles direct open today? Will try to call them - saddler is also calling them to see what they have.

Pony is narrow in her build so think wide panels would be a no no :/

I would put a wanted ad up, but I'm not sure what saddles would suit so making it difficult.

TarrSteps

Visit site
The sizing of saddles is more complicated than just the length - as said, different types and models fit very differently. Seat size is also as much about thigh length as weight.

It doesn't sound like you want the world. You might struggle to bring one of the French or Italian jumping saddles in under budget but it's also worth looking at Whittakers, Barnsbys etc, especially in older models, which would still leave some of your budget for fitting.

I know a lot of people in the UK have taken against but I would not rule out Stubben either, especially the newer ones.

HayleyUK

Visit site
Thanks Tarr Steps - saddler made me feel like we did need the world on a plate to get something fit and reflecting back was vague about what might suit yet was able to quote. She didn't seem to consider that in 6 months horse will be totally different and therefore spending £1300 on a new saddle is a bit pointless?

Will have a look at some of the other brands mentioned - I'm looking for a dressage or GP ideally.