Saddler found something on mares back....

Charmin

Visit site
New saddler came today to try and fit a jumping saddle to my homebred. She found a slight 'ridge' on her left side. All her saddles have always slipped to the right and saddler thinks it might be this. She's never had any issues with her back at all, but as I'm at uni someone else has been schooling her for me and she can be very unflexible on the left rein and when pushed to go on a small circle can kick out at the leg. There's no sensitivity when poked or prodded. Saddler pointed out her hip drops ever so slightly on that side if you looked very very closely. So we're getting the osteo out, and then the physio if it seems to be muscular. Then if no improvement, down the vet route.

My mind's immediately jumped to KS so please lots of reassurance if possible! Hopefully we can get someone out before Christmas. I'm back to feeling useless at uni but am going home Thursday for Christmas so can give her a cuddle.

be positive

Visit site
It is far more likely that something is not working properly further back causing her to be pushing more strongly with the opposite hind leg to compensate, the saddle is then slipping away which then puts some pressure on the left side of the spine, it may be easily fixed by physio and some corrective schooling.
If she is tight on the left rein it may be that she is stiff on the right side and reluctant to stretch fully through her length that side, the left hind will then be pushing the saddle to the outside, lots of work to encourage her to stretch the right side being very careful to ensure she remains straight, not cheating and shortening up or swinging her quarters away slightly to avoid working through.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I was under the impression that you have to get a vet to refer you to either a phsio or anyone else.
In the meantime I would be giving as much turnout as possible..

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
But could this be a case of 'chicken and egg'? All horses favour one side from birth, just as we do (L or R handed), so could the 'ridge' and stiffness be caused by her schooling issues and working to get her stronger and more flexible on her left rein might resolve the problem? Or could it be caused by unevenness in the rider?
Or is the schooling issue causing the 'ridge'- which Im assuming is uneven muscling? ?I would try something like McTimony or one of those other types of massage/muscle manipulation, then schooling and pole excersizes to help get her more even.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I think a lameness vet check on her hind legs may be a good way forward. There was research done showing that in a lot of cases the first sign of a problem developing in a hind leg was saddle slip.

Edit - just read Themule's post referencing some of the research.

Last edited:

Charmin

Visit site
Thanks all.

She's out 24/7 so can't really give her more turnout!

She's quite crooked, when she halts she swings her quarters to the left but then this is my strongest rein as well so I do think I've passed it on. She's slowly straightening up under her new rider. The hind limb thing is interesting but she's had vets look at her a couple of times recently and nothing's been picked up, I'm more inclined to think that it's a weakness rather than lameness.