Saddles...ARGH...Black Country & can they be adjusted wider more than once...?

jnb

Visit site
So my cob has finally - FINALLY! just got going as after myriad health problems (me) then stop/start with confidence issues (me) maturing (him) then bloody Corona, I finally took him to a BSHA clinic last Sunday and though green he behaved amazingly and in a fit of positivity I booked in to 2 small local shows which are only accepting entries up to 2 weeks before the show to keep entries down & observer social distancing....you can see where this is going, right?
Cob went over to my instructors to use the school/have a lesson. As a ride judge practice she got on & saddle started to slip, she got off and checked & said it is too narrow now for him (he has gone bum high for about the 4th time, he is 6 or 7 this year) - saddle has been opened out on the stretcher years ago from MW-W to W (Ithink) and it's been checked by a saddler 4 times since he was broken in 2 years ago and reflocked/adjusted each time. At no point has saddler said it won't go wide enough but now here I am, I have 2 weeks annual leave and no saddle that fits, my saddler can't come until October but I've managed to book in with another in 2 weeks. Want to cry tbh. I'm very stressed with work & lockdown and i have looked forward to this all year & now no riding. Before anyone starts I know it could be worse but WHY?????
Anyone know if Black COuntry saddles can be adjusted wider more than once? Won't tree break? Someone I respect a lot in the showing world has said Black Country can open out the saddle & change the head if needed? Anyone any experience or have a WH/VSD 18" w-XW I can borrow?
A friend is lending me a Fylde Marjorie XW tonight, fingers crossed it can be used or no riding for me :(
Pic of cob - expanding at a rate of knots

Attachments

• 8CA0B57C-8DDB-424F-B14C-D9A37031F2BC.jpeg
    8CA0B57C-8DDB-424F-B14C-D9A37031F2BC.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 33

sherry90

Visit site
I believe so - but do risk the tree breaking especially if it’s already been stretched. I have an XXW VSD too wide for my boy now and I wanted it taking down but it’d put too much strain on the tree going from that to MW.

cauda equina

Visit site
My BC GP has been widened twice - once a minor tweak in the back of the saddler's van, then a more major adjustment when he took it away.

Your saddler would be the best person to advise though

jnb

Visit site
Can't get my saddler out till 20th Aug. Have spoken to her however and she seems confident it can be widened. Fingers crossed! But 2 weeks away :(

Shay

Visit site
Your saddler will advise you - but Black country do make an adjustable head. (Adjustable by a saddler that is - not the owner!) If you have to you might be able to send the saddle away to replace the head. Black country had mine back in 48 hours when I tried it with baby connie who kept outgrowing his saddles.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Most wooden trees can be adjusted, within reason. There are many factors involved in whether they can be altered in a particular instance. My rules, for the saddles I fit - older than 5 years I will not narrow, older than 10 years I am very unlikely to widen. If the saddle has been adjusted in two different directions I will not take it back in the first direction. Maximum adjustment usually two widths wider and one narrower, but often for a full size narrower it goes back to the workshop or head office to be adjusted with dropping the head and checking everything super carefully.

Bear in mind that tree shape is a limiting factor as to whether the saddle that fitted on a MW horse will still fit on an XW horse, at two width fittings different more horses than not will need a different shaped tree/panel, usually flatter in the rails and panel if you're going wider, and the reverse if going narrower. And this last factor is why adjustable headplate saddles aren't always a permanent answer just because the width can be adjusted.

jnb

Visit site
Thank you all. Fylde Marjorie XW fits! Seat size is "Hack" rather than the "Cob" that matches both my arse and my cob but it fits!! and i can ride until my saddler comes on 20th aug. My wonderful friend is happy for me to keep it until mine is either sorted or I buy a new saddle. PHEW!!!!!