Saddles; Flair vs Flocking

Melody Grey

Visit site
I have a Sue Carson Harmony dressage saddle which I do love and has been my faithful friend for many years but have recently run into problems- basically it's deflating gradually and like a fool I hadn't noticed until my horse started acting up (holding my hands up to poor horse-mummying here on my part!)

My Physio commented that she'd rather a traditionally flocked saddle than flair as she sees less problems with them... so has anyone had their flair saddle flocked? Was it a good move?

Melody Grey

Visit site
I have heard that replaćing the airbags is shockingly expensive, so if there's some kind of a leak, it will definitely be getting flocked!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Have you cut a little bit off the ends off the tubes? The main reason airbags go down slowly is that the end of the tube flares and leaks.

If the airbag itself leaks it usually deflates pretty quickly.

WOW would be interested to hear your physio's experiences. I've been using Flair for twenty years on multiple horses and never had a back issue with a horse which was related to the saddle.

Just a note for other people, replacing an airbag on a WOW is simple and not terribly expensive because the panels are sealed with Velcro. On a Sue Carson, and probably any other saddle with Flair, they are sewn shut and replacement is more difficult.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Thanks YBCM- no I didn't know that about the tube endings- that's definitely worth a thought. The airbags aren't completely flat, just variable degrees of over squishiness, but yes they are sewn into the cushions with only the valves poking out.

I've never had a problem until now, but it has been over 12 months since I got it checked and adjusted, so more than likely my own fault. I like the adjustability of it- its been on many horses without any problems.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's possible the valves are leaking, not the bags. They should be easy to replace, either with new valves or with blankers like in the WOW saddles, where the valve is on the pump, not the saddle.

I would ask WOW not Sue Carson, I get the impression everything Sue Carson does is expensive!

Hope that helps.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I've been using a local saddle fitter who can adjust flair in the past. I purchased the saddle second hand so haven't had dealings directly with Sue Carson...but indirectly haven't heard great things 😬

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had a flair saddle on loan for a new horse, and was loaned the pump to do my own adjustments too. It really was not rocket science.

Before anyone jumps down my throat I am sure WOW, Sue Carson and any number of saddle fitters could do many more magical things with an air pump than I could, but I had a valve between the 2 air lines so the pressure in both cushions was equal. Then it was just a matter of a-bit-more or a-bit-less until the saddle fitted. Going up.... going down...

The loan saddle was ancient, so I checked it every week. Usually it was OK, occasionally it had a pump or two with the pump. We did also have to snip a bit off the end of the air lines the first time as they were too loose to keep the stopper in, but there was loads spare tucked inside the leather to go at.

I believe Sue Carson uses different ends to the air lines, so the Flair pumps won't work. Ycbm suggests the ends can be changed. I have also known a few people remove the Flair and replace with flocking. If I could not adjust myself then I think I would do this as I would not like to be beholden to one company.

Personally I like the saddles with foam panels. No lumps and the memory foam goes back to normal in the tack room.

Wheels

Visit site
12 months between fittings is too long for any horse and saddle combo but especially for flair. 3-6 months is the general rule, flair is for precision.

I have heard physios talk about not liking flair, one told me that when she used an infrared camera she could see the pattern of the bags on the horses back. I am guessing though that it is mostly in regards to saddles that are not checked often enough rather than a properly cared for flair system.

If your horse usually goes well in the few months after a fitting then I wouldn't change personally. Not all horses like flair at all though.

If you were paying for a full flock then it shouldn't be much more to change one of the bags, they are not expensive to the trade. You cant replace just the valves of the bags although you can cut a bit off if the end is leaking.

jj_87

Visit site
I really rate the flair system, I had one about 20 years ago which was a novelty and now I have a Sue Carson which I love and more importantly my horse loves.

If i remember correctly all Sue Carsons have a lifetime guarantee on the airbags, so it might be worth a call to them. But also the tubes need to be sealed with resin to stop the air leaking out, so maybe something to consider?
Hope that helps.

:)