Saddles for eventing?

jess_asterix

Visit site
Me again. I currently event in my Stubben Roxanne which is this
RoxaneCS.jpg

Now I am finding that I can't get my stirrups up short enough and get my knees forward, my knees seem to be poking over the front if my stirrups are short. Also at the weekend the flap kept bunching up if you look on the picture you can see how it has moved, any suggestions as to why this happened (could have been rain and boots sticking???? not sure)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151424335356608&set=t.648976754&type=3&theater

I think it might be a case of needing a flatter seat and more forward cut saddle, but I just wondered what you lot evented in!

But yes, bit of a ramble there, I'm tired after assignment writing.

Hit me with saddle suggestions or just tell me to get on with and it's fine!!

Thanks, J x

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
Hi, when I first had my teenage growth spurt a few years ago I found this a massive problem, my knees poked out the front of most saddles, even jump saddles.

It took us quite a long time to find the right saddle but now I've got an Ideal Impala Pro which is perfect if you've got long legs. It's really given me security in my position too. It's a monoflap as well, so its very close contact. I love it!

FreyaB

Visit site
Hi, when I first had my teenage growth spurt a few years ago I found this a massive problem, my knees poked out the front of most saddles, even jump saddles.

It took us quite a long time to find the right saddle but now I've got an Ideal Impala Pro which is perfect if you've got long legs. It's really given me security in my position too. It's a monoflap as well, so its very close contact. I love it!

I originally had an Albion K2 GP, I have quite longs legs and that worked for me but now I have an Ideal Impala Pro and I love that, the knee blocks are quite big (which stop me for, getting catapulted out the saddle when my boy decides to take off from miles out) yet it's very close contact and a mono flap! Plus it comes with matching girth and leathers! I really love mine, however all Albions are nice and though my K2 GP isn't close contact, I never have problems XC and it's really comfortable!

Javabb94

Visit site
I originally had an Albion K2 GP, I have quite longs legs and that worked for me but now I have an Ideal Impala Pro and I love that, the knee blocks are quite big (which stop me for, getting catapulted out the saddle when my boy decides to take off from miles out) yet it's very close contact and a mono flap! Plus it comes with matching girth and leathers! I really love mine, however all Albions are nice and though my K2 GP isn't close contact, I never have problems XC and it's really comfortable!

I also have ideal impala pro - I really struggled with finding a saddle to accommodate my very long legs but this is perfect for me

They also seem to fit a wide range of horses, I have one for each of my horses now and they are just so comfy and put you in a nice position and I can really get my stirrups short enough for XC

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
If I could afford it, I would have the Barnsby Xtreem, but as I couldn't I have the Excelle Integra. I still love it. I like anything with a flat seat and small blocks, and since having a mono flap, I wouldn't swap back.
The Equipes are nice saddles, as are the Antares, then obviously butets are the bees knees, but it depend on your budget!

millitiger

Visit site
So much depends on what you like and what your budget is.

Your results from the weekend would suggest the saddle isn't hindering you that much though! ;)

I have a really long hip - knee measurement and sometimes go over the front of the saddle when my stirrups are xc length but if my saddle accomodated my leg, it would inhibit the horse's shoulder so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.

I love saddles which are very flat and minimalist with hardly any blocks- so things like the Pessoa (more for wider horses), Prestige or more of the french designed jumping saddles.

Current jumping saddle is a Passier which I'm in love with and was the only saddle under £3k that fitted Vinnie's huge withers.

I hate 'blocky' saddles which rules out most Ideals and Albions generally.

Sults

Visit site
I am thinking of getting an impala pro monoflap, can the tree of these be adjusted by any saddler or do they have to go back to the manufacturer?

TableDancer

Visit site
Butets all the way - they will build it to suit you :) If they work for AN whose legs are pretty long, they should be ok for you :D We've used them for years, but it is interesting, they have just started on FB listing te people who have won/been placed riding in Butet saddles at BE events, and it is amazing how many people do ride in them! Budget-wise they are expensive but 1) Sederholm Selected always have a long secondhand list where you can pick up something cheaper and 2) They do hold their value really well if you did need to sell in the future...

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
What I would say is try lots. I have Butet for Sarnie and loved it however didn't have the budget for one for Pip.I ended up with an Optimum performance saddle (Nathaniel Underwood) love it so much considering selling the Butet! So try loads and don't forget make sure you find someone that can fit you and the horse. Sederholm are great but I had troubles in the past with fits and fitters from other places!

Rosiefan

Visit site
Rosie agrees with WFP, Albion Kontact Lite every time. She doesn't have particularly long legs but William has :)D) - he said the small blocks (is that the right word?) don't inhibit his position when going over big jumps and although he has loads of them, tends to use the same one on most of his rides. Rosie has 2 - which fit all her horses and won't jump in anything else if she can help it because it makes her feel so secure.

tilly_monster

Visit site
I have a mark Todd mono flap saddle on one of my horses, which I love, it has saved me a few times, and on my other horse I have ideal impala which I don't like on him, it doesn't make me feel secure in it, and it now doesn't fit, but it does make me feel secure on my other horse, you just need to try on different saddles as everyone will be different, I'm now looking at getting a mark Todd or kontact lite for him

KatB

Visit site
I ride in an equipe single flap, and love it. I've also ridden in butets, devoucoux antares and amerigos, and if I had the budget would get a butet or antares if I could get one to fit the mare as well as he equips does. However, find the equipe fits everything, is comfortable and great for jumping :)

jess_asterix

Visit site
Thank you!

I do like the Butets having ridden in one, would need to save for a while though. We seem to lack good saddle fitter near me who have a range I could try but I think that is the way forward!
I haven't ridden in an Albion Kontact Lite but haven't like any other Albions I have ridden in?

I like the look of the Ideal Impala and it seems more affordable.

I think I will need to get a good fitter with several makes to try, the last saddle that came out said Herbie's saddle didn't fit fantastically so we just have to pad it up correctly as I couldn't afford a new one at the time!!

Dusty85

Visit site
Have you thought about the saddle direct website? They have lots of new and second hand saddles and will send you three at a time to try. (Good if you know his size/fit)
I haven't used them personally but have heard good things.

I have just bought a Prestige Paris K mono flap (2nd hand). Just waiting for it to come back from being adjusted (they can heat the tree to change the width) as I too had the problem of XC stirrups made my knee poke over the edge of the flap!

Will let you know what it's like when I've ridden in it!!

monte1

Visit site
This is a very interesting thread as I have been pondering over the same problem myself recently, we event at around 90cm level and do it all in a Farrington VSD saddle, including our dressage! I do feel relatively secure in it, but I have now begun to wonder if I would be more secure if I could get my stirrups up shorter for XC with a much more forward cut flap.(currently go up about 5 holes from normal length for XC) see photo below at recent event - if it will work??
any comments ??

https://www.facebook.com/julia.hosk....497398757728.296213.684097728&type=1&theater

I have tried a couple of different saddles on my chap, an older stubben jump and also a monoflap saddle but didn't like them. I guess if I go buy a more forward cut jump type saddle,( I must admit like the look of the Pessoa's :) ) but would I then need to buy a seperate dressage saddle as well-or could I do everything in one saddle??
it is very hard to know what to do isn't it!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I have just bought (yesterday!!) a Prestige Paris D. I LOVE IT. I have stupidly long legs, and dainty 14h ponies. My legs fit absolutly perfectly into it, feels like a glove. No pics of me riding in it yet though. I've alos got a Barnsby Milton on my other mare, and that is just as good. Lovely and flat, no big blocks, but plenty of long leg room.

bellatrix

Visit site
I have a really long hip to knee and I found monoflaps much better and ended up with one very very similar to the design of the Ideal Impala monoflap, just a different make :) Shame Mags grew out of it!