saddles for huge withers

fizz-tally

Visit site
P1010471.JPG

whats the best type of saddle for withers like this?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Your saddler would be the best person to give you advise. However Freddy had quite a bit wither and his saddle had quite a cut pack pommel.

fizz-tally

Visit site
my saddler has suggested we go with a synthetic but doesnt stock many,just wanted to see what everyone else with high withered horses use so i can go back & ask about them
grin.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I really wish I had some piccies of my boy on here since he has insane withers. This is then doubled with a rather wide back, huge shoulders but a very, very short ribcage (and a 5ft 11 rider)

The saddler who ended up fitting mine described him as by far the most difficult but "interesting" horse he ever had to fit
tongue.gif

I went directly to the people at first thought equine who do the wow saddles and they were fabulous. It took a lot of fiddling and tweaking to get the saddle just right but it fits us both superbly and the amount of muscling up he's done behind the wither is insane (he wasnt lacking work prior to the saddle at all but his previous saddle just wouldnt accomodate the muscle growth he's since shown).

The wow saddles arent cheap by a long shot but are certainly worth considering. Anything I put on my boy would drop straight onto his withers or nip him through his back but his wow is giving beautiful wither clearance
laugh.gif

ihatework

Visit site
That really doesn't look too bad to fit a saddle too.
Look for saddles with drop panels and cut back heads, there are a fair few on the market at the moment.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Are you able to put a good quality sheepskin numnah underneath in addition to the Breast plate. It may be more do do with the fact that the horse needs to develop some muscle rather than a big wither perhaps???

Rambo

Visit site
I wouldn't say that looks too bad...

I believe Wintec and/or Throwgood do a specific high-wither version of some of their synthetics though...might be worth a look
smile.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
My horse has got higher withers than that (ner ner ner ner ner!!!!)

Only joking. Unfortunately your dreams of a pessoa may be short lived…however I have got an Albion K2 and a Prestige close contact dressag (both 2nd hand) for my high withered boy...neither of which are cut back.

I struggled to find a close contact to fit….but it is possible. I do like my albion – I am sure that the GP is good too.

You will probably find that the wither does not look so big when he has more a topline….call your saddler!

KatB

Visit site
Albion TB trees are good for high whithers as they have large points so will hug the area well. true "close contact" saddles you will struggle with as they have flatter trees, although saying that Amerigos fit horses with high withers well....

Sparklet

Visit site
Albion are good with high withered horses, as are Jeffries and Ideal - you may need a dropped template. I would always rather go a tad wide and add a prolite pad or a sheepskin pad to prevent the withers being pinched at each side.

S_N

Visit site
If I was you, I'd get in touch with the saddle company and explain the situation. They will probably give you the number of a local SC fitter to call, to come out to you. They beauty of these saddles, is that it can be altered as your horse changes and develops, without breaking the bank. The Verona saddles (Leather tops and sythetic underneath) are approx. £400 to £500 new! More and more 2nd hand ones are appearing on ebay too!!

www.thesaddlecompany.co.uk

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The Kieffer Garmisch is good for horses with a high, steep wither.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh...we've got one of them....I never use it though....leave it for the wife as I prefer my Stubben CTD
tongue.gif