Saddles for Ickle ponies

tarzipan06

Visit site
I wonder if you guys can help.
I bought a saddle a couple of years ago for my little 11 hh mare - however she was subsequently in foal therefore saddle didn't fit her - it used to tilt even wearing a breast plate.
Now I have just bought a griffin saddle and this one shoots forward - would the breast plate work? or anything else -
pony is still overweight and I am hoping once fit the saddle will fit, however if it doesn't should I just bite the bullet and get the saddler out to fit her with a new one? Do saddlers fit second hand? Anyone know of cheap?? little pony saddles? saddlers in Beds/Bucks/Herts area?
ANy advice greatly received.
Many htanks
ooo.gif

tuscanyD

Visit site
Yes saddlers fit second hand - if you tell them your budget beforehand [estimate a bit lower - they always bring a few over the price!] they should bring a selection that is suitable.

You can use a crupper to stop the saddle slipping forward - it goes around the tail and buckles to the back of the saddle - but better to get one that fits.

Snowberry

Visit site
I bought a lovely 2nd hand saddle from my saddler - its a tiny 12inch English leather one but apparently they are like hens teeth!!!
we've used safari saddles on little ponies as they have velco bits inside so you can adjust the width and have added bonus of having a handle for little riders (also only about £35) Great little saddles for messing about in.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I ended up with a Maxam Thorowgood for my pony as I couldn't find a decent leather saddle anywhere. It works quite well (she is 11hh and TOby is 5 years old) as it means he sticks to the saddle quite nicely. I bought mine from ebay for £80 and it was brand new (usual price around £150 I think). It is not the most elegant saddle in the world, but it sits well on the pony. It also comes with the bits you change the gullet with so that you can make it slightly wider or narrower depending on the pony.

kbt2661

Visit site
I used to have a lovely little saddle for my 12hh pony about 10 years ago now, I think it was a City? It was lovely and fitted the pony well. If you could find a second hand one and have it fitted that would probably be a good deal.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem. Short of using a donkey pad (lol) I recommend one of the 12" safari saddles with a handle, they do truly fot anything. I needed one a bit bigger in the seat (so as I could ride the pony) and have just brought a Thorowgood Griffin 15". I believe the maxam's are just as good. Bayley is VERY wide, almost table topped back, and I got one with a 9" d ring to d ring measurement and with the aid of a crupper this fits him fine. The added bonus of these saddles is the placement of the girth starps, attatched in a way which stops the saddle slipping.