saddles - such a minefield and I need some advice please

nicolenlolly

Visit site
I need some assistance please wise people inside my computer. Previously with the childrens' ponies I used a saddler that I was happy with but during their last visit I was really unimpressed, then looked them up on here and seemingly, I wasn't the only one and I found out a few things that I just don't really want to entertain them coming back. DD's pony had a slight swelling of her suspensory and is a sensitive flower so needed some time off so we bought her a 4 year old horse who thankfully has been incredible. It was barely backed so came with nothing, I bought a cheap saddle and the local saddler flocked it to make it fit and has come frequently to adjust however she doesn't do new saddles. Baby horse is idxconnie, now rising 6 and needing a new saddle, currently in the K&M that came with the connie and DD really doesn't like it. We have 2 trainers, one swears by antares but I am finding the rep tricky (reminds me of the snobby sales assistant in pretty woman) although the trainer is adamant that they fit everything and are brilliant and the other trainer really likes wow as they are super adjustable but I know nothing about them and whether they will be suitable. I am in North Devon but happy to travel, the mare is special and needs something that will be comfortable as she continues to develop. Where/who is great for having a good variety we can try to see what fits horse and rider best? I am aware that baby horse will still change a fair bit so is it misguided to spend decent money on a saddle, should I still be "making do" until she hits 7? We need to do something now as we have finally managed something resembling a top line and k&m no longer fits. (Not sure how you post pictures on here anymore as it has been a while so i have put a pic of the horse as my avatar)

Last edited:

Baywonder

Visit site
Saddles are indeed a minefield - what some love, others hate.

If you are in North Devon, may I suggest you give Frank Edwards a call at Acorn Saddlery? Frank is a fantastic fitter, and he would be able to advise you on what would be best to try. :)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
French saddles do not fit everything, they tend to have narrow rails/twists, thin panels, and are hugely expensive for what they are in most cases. I would go second hand if possible for a horse that will change, and I would search out a good fitter, you don't necessarily need variety, a fitter can have a van full of saddles but nothing to fit, or can still be a poor fitter! It's entirely possible to usually turn up with (as I do) less than 20 saddles but have something for everyone booked in that day.

Annagain

Visit site
I bought 6yr old ID type (unregistered breeding) in August 2020 and luckily my old boy's saddle fitted him with a bit of adjustment. By May 2021 he'd grown 3" and gone up 3 saddle widths (luckily original adjustment was to narrow it so it could be widened to fit as that was 2 widths up from what it originally was). He had another check in October and hadn't changed so I'm hoping that's it now, although he's still a bit bum high. As an ID x Connie I'd expect your mare to still be growing too. I'd definitely be 'making do' for another year or so, especially if you have a local saddler you trust. I'd ask saddler what you need, buy it second hand and get it fitted to the mare.

Last edited:

nicolenlolly

Visit site
sbloom I have been a lurker for a while and really hoped you would have time to answer me as you make so much sense! A good fitter is something I need to find you are right and the trouble is for everyone I know of down here, I hear good and bad about them all, its so difficult as I don't ride myself so I am trying to learn as my daughter progresses and hope that I am getting it right so the horse is as comfortable as possible at all times :) Annagain thank you, thats amazing to think your boy changed that much! Ruby has just gone slightly bum high again in the last few weeks I just need to get to the stage of finding one I trust enough to deal with the little mare as she is just so lovely I want to do the best I can by her but all I know is the one right now doesn't fit well but my daughter hates it and finds it so uncomfortable that I am loathed to spend any more money on it, I need her comfortable too!
Baywonder, thank you for the recommendation, I have heard various reviews but they are only about 10 mins away from me so it would be a good starting point I guess!

Polos Mum

Visit site
At 6 y/o I would invest your money in regular refits and checks rather than a perfect saddle. The very rough guide is 3 human years to a horse year so your horse is c. 18 in people years - 18 y/o people can really physically mature to 25 ish.

I would wait until 8 before really investing in a top saddle and go second hand expecting to change often before then. That also give you a little time to try makes you like in second hand version.

HorseMaid

Visit site
Frank from Acorn came out to fit a couple of saddles to our mares that we'd picked up second hand - one he said just fit perfectly and didn't need anything doing (winner!) and the other a touch of flocking. Both horses been fine since. I don't think acorn carry second hand saddles to sell any more though. There was another local saddler who I'd been using who consistently fitted too wide. Milly at the little tack shop is also meant to be good.

nicolenlolly

Visit site
you have been great thank you. Frank at Acorn does also have a small selection of second hand saddles, I have tried a couple of them but they aren't even close with a re-flock but I wasn't in a position to buy new before! I have had Millie at the little tack room keeping on top of the reflocking and changing the gullets to make sure she is comfortable but I didnt think that she did new saddles? sbloom it would be interesting to know who to avoid but you probably cant tell me so for now I will stick with either frank or millie I think!!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I agree with others (sorry forgot who ) who said that investing in frequent adjustment at thus age is vital , and don't invest in something super fancy until the horse is about 8. My 7 year old cob has gone up 3 widths in just over a year and I'm on my third saddle with him now !

JackFrost

Visit site
Try Garretts, Somerset but not too far, lots of 2nd hand you can have on trial, the Garretts do fittings.
Also Sheepham Saddles.