Saddles that come with point straps?

dotty1

Visit site
I have a Barnsby Haflinger saddle that is extremely wide that has point straps. I would think any 'cob' saddles would have point straps.
When mine was fitted to my hippo my saddler did say that quite a few horses object if you clamp the saddle down using the point straps as it puts a lot of pressure on the horses back, which I can understand. I don't actually use them.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Agree that most saddles aimed at wide flat horses will have them, many dressage saddles will also have them. Almost all our models do. But yes, you can have them added - much more work entailed if it needs to be fed under a velcro knee roll I would imagine, but I'm a fitter not a saddler...and as all our have them I've not had to have them added :cool:

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
Agree that most saddles aimed at wide flat horses will have them, many dressage saddles will also have them. Almost all our models do. But yes, you can have them added - much more work entailed if it needs to be fed under a velcro knee roll I would imagine, but I'm a fitter not a saddler...and as all our have them I've not had to have them added :cool:

They don't go under the velcro knee rolls :) The saddler drops the panels, attaches them to the tree points, makes a slit in the leather at the tree points so he can thread them through, attach panel back and voila, point straps! :D That is how it's been done on all my saddles, normal and side saddle.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
They don't go under the velcro knee rolls :) The saddler drops the panels, attaches them to the tree points, makes a slit in the leather at the tree points so he can thread them through, attach panel back and voila, point straps! :D That is how it's been done on all my saddles, normal and side saddle.

Yes, you're quite right, we rivet the straps through the end of the points so they are very secure and don't go under any knee rolls

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I was thinking of dressage saddles and monoflaps which I guess aren't that relevant here. And not thinking clearly either :blush: ! Anyway, with dressage saddles I like where the point strap is threaded under the knee roll - a point strap is often used to help stop a saddle moving forwards, and if it has to be angled backwards it kind of defeats the purpose...

Last edited: