Saddles with similar fit to Farrington?

Chumsmum

Visit site
I have 5 saddles at home and not one fits my l/w cob and trying to get some ideas together while my saddler has another look to see what she has.

If I understand my saddler correctly, he has normal wither, big shoulders but is short-coupled, quite broad and then his back curves up towards his loins - not your typical flat backed cob. He is roughly a MW or maybe Wide and can only take a 17" seat. A VSD or WH style suits him, maybe get away with a not too forward cut GP?

He came with a Farrington WH that was made to measure but he has filled out so much it no longer fits him. However, my saddler thinks this tree suits him but I can't find one second hand (WH or VSD, 17" Brown MW or maybe W) to try though I'm constantly googling...

Anyone know of a saddle that has a similar fit, I think it has a slightly curved tree? When googling I came across that maybe Bates may be a similar fit, anyone else found this? Would that then mean a Wintec would? Can definiately say that Albion K2 and a whole variety of Ideals do not suit - fine at the front, no good at the back.

I am considering going down the Farrington M2M again but that really is the top of my budget plus instructor thinks his shoulders and back will come up even more when they have the room.

I know Kay Humphries makes lovely saddles for difficult to fit horses but can't afford her atm.

Any suggestions gratefully received - just need to sort something quickly as have lessons/clinics booked.

Chumsmum

Visit site
Bump..

Plus saddler just called, got some more to try but didn't sound confident and thinks Farrington have changed their tree shape recently... oh bum. Will give them a call tomorrow.

I vaguely remember his ex-owners saying something about him being difficult to fit..

shelley8697

Visit site
If it's any help, farringtons also make Derby House saddles.

I had a Farrington WH saddle for my flat back welsh cob, and also purchased a Derby House Samber - exactly the same (well almost) lol

millimoo

Visit site
You may find a good second hand Derby House Kentucky (I or II) on Saddles Direct.
My mum has one in extra wide, and they are exactly the same as the Farrington (as per previous post)
My mums warmblood sounds a similar shape to your horse......Please try one.
Not sure what the new ones are like, but there are a few 2nd hand ones floating around out there. Ebay often has them on too - can I also suggest checking completed listings and email the seller to see if you can try if local and not sold.
Having just checked ebay, theres's a couple of Farringtons on there too...

Last edited:

Oscarsmum

Visit site
I have a kay humphries saddle cost £1500 second hand though!! But its fab shes lovely and has adjusted several times for me. Its a semi flex so has a special tree which may be useful for your boy.