Saddles

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
Really not sure what to do about my horse's saddle!
I have him on loan and he came with a thorowgood that has never been great fitting but not too bad. He's got a lot leaner since Ive had him though and its now sitting low (I can always put a half pad on until he chunks up in summer for that one) but Its very sat on his shoulders? And lifts up at the back.
He really needs a new well fitting saddle, but i have him on loan and so i really don't want to be spending hundreds of pounds on a saddle that does not fit, and i really can't afford to. Any suggestions? Has anyone else been in a similar situation with loan horses?

RubyFrench

Visit site
he's not a loan horse, i bought mine 3 weeks ago and have absolutely skinted myself out buying him as he was an impulse buy so didn't have chance to save. but desperately need a new saddle as mine doesn't fit either (it's ugly too!)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Saddles moving cause at least as much damage as saddles where there are pressure points - I've seen the affects of saddles lifting at the back over time and it's not pretty. You do need to talk to the owner if the saddle isn't adjustable, or even if it is, isn't able to be adjusted enough. Saddles aren't cheap but you might find an inexpensive second hand or synthetic option and again the owner might be prepared to share costs, but it's amazing how many times loaner and loanee can't agree about whether a saddle fits or not!