Saddling a Round Horse

Sparklet

Visit site
I made a promise to post this for advice on behalf of a friend.

She owns a Hannovarian mare who has had several foals and therefore has wider ribs, she is well covered with a very flat wither. She is narrowist just behind the elbow and is slightly croup high so the saddle has a tendancy to move forward.

My friend has owned her for about 5 years and does elementary dressage quite sucessfully but has never got the saddle fitting right and it has been an ongoing problem.

My friend, like me, is a larger rider so needs a nice generous saddle so fit her curvey voluptuous backside
wink.gif
and she has just bought a new saddle but has been getting backache which her instructor blames on the saddle saying it is too deep and therefore not big enough. The horse works much better in the new saddle though.

Has anyone out there got a similar shaped horse out there and even better a similar shaped backside who can help give some advice about what makes of saddle she could try?

Treeless are out because she has tried one but it is no use for dressage.

cazza

community.webshots.com
quick simple test. Put saddle on horse girthed up. Stand back and look at the horse side on. If the cantle is higher than the pommel then the saddle is tipping her forwards and that is making her unbalanced, this also works vice versa. The cantle and the pommel need to be in alignment for the rider to sit upright and feel comfortable, some may prefer it slightly one way or the other to compensate for rider back curvature. Then try a thin riser pad to put the saddle in balance and see if she is then comfortable. If this works for the rider she can then get the saddler out to reshape the panels in the saddle accordingly so it fits the horse and keeps your friend in balance and comfortable. Some saddlers for this particular type of problem will use both foam and flocking in the saddle to retain the shape. Hope this helps

mrussell

Visit site
Sounds identical to my croup high flat withered traffic-cone bodied fella.

I too have a big bum and thighs so I have a WOW saddle with a size 2 seat but with shorter panels underneath it so his loins arent constantly ramming the saddle forward.

Its the only saddle I have found that fits both me and him, doesnt roll or rub...and is just so comfy.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Wow's are good for correctly fitting and adjusting as the horse changes shape, downside is damn expensive and come wth teething troubles.

However for our hanoverian mare with no wither (at all!) I used a pessoa saddle when she was slimmer and we then had an old Lovatt & Ricketts completely take apart, stuffed for her shape and had 'fatty' straps added to secure it in place.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
My mare is also witherless. My saddler let out all my flocking and reflocked back up very gently, fitted two fatty straps to make a v-shape and he also told me not to use an elasticated girth (Jeffries do a nice leather one without elasticated ends). Finally I use a Barnsby grip pad as although saddle fits fine, she is very round !

Capriole

Visit site
ive been trying to find a leather elastic-less girth, but they all seem to have it on at least one end if not both these days, how much is the jeffries one?

mrsbloggett

Visit site
Have a look at the Ideal VSD on a Europa tree. They make up to a XXwide tree and will custom make you one at little extra charge to a made to measure. Also ditto on a non-elastic girth. I struggled with a roly-poly pony for several years until I used an old girth - result - no slipping saddle!

Cullohill

photobucket.com
So firstly i would suggest getting a qualified saddle fitter out (let me know if you like a receomendation in your area)

Of course i will suggest an Ideal Saddle - as i work for them - but really we can make anything you like! if we get a tree that fits horse and rider we can make whatever style of saddle on top....

i have few suggestions -

Our newest saddle which is becoming very popular, it is on a new tree a hoop head which fits differently and suits rolly polly flat whiter types the FWB (For Wide Breeds). It can come as a VSD or GP cut but i am sure a dressage cut wouldn't be a problem. also it has nice open seat but narrow twist so you don't feel wide spread!!

http://www.idealsaddle.com/catalogue/saddle/32

other option would be our H&C tree which is tradional tree but suited to wide breeds and this one has Jessica top which is very popular dressage saddle, not too deep in seat.
http://www.idealsaddle.com/catalogue/saddle/30

Final option could be Suzannah (most popualr dressage saddle) this might fit as the tree was desinged for warmblood type horses, truly brilliant saddle (i have one!) plenty room in seat and v comfy.

http://www.idealsaddle.com/catalogue/saddle/17

With any saddle i would suggest having it made to Template of your horse, then things like modified panels, full front leg gussets, extra straps point and balance, and probably a smaller rear gusset if the horse is croup high can be added, we don't charge very much for these alteration and usually it would only be another £20 ontop to have one made to template.

i do hope this helps, if i can help any further just let me know - if your friend likes she could email me some pictures of her horse and i could show my boss who is a fitter and he will make suggestions if thats any help? (liz@idealsaddle.com)

it's such a big purchase you need to get it right and if you have to use pads to keep things in place, higher, lower then it obviously doesn't fit in the first place and pressure points can be caused.

rambling now....... hope you/your friend finds something suitable

Sparklet

Visit site
Hey cheers Cullohill thats a fantastic amount of information and i wil print it all off for her so she can have a look this weekend.

You have no need to convince me that Ideals are wonderful saddles - I love my fading suede Jessica , both my daughter and my other friend have one too. They are fab saddles at an excellent price.

The round horse friend did fancy a saddle but I think she tried one in the past and the tree didnt fit, but as you say you newer model may just do the trick and I am sure she would like to have all the options. She lives East Yorkshire area - I know R and R Country used to fit yours but no longer do which is a great shame. A qualified fitter recommendation would be great - pm me if you prefer.

Thanks for all the info - I know she will be really grateful.

Sparklet

Visit site
Hey cheers Cullohill thats a fantastic amount of information and i wil print it all off for her so she can have a look this weekend.

You have no need to convince me that Ideals are wonderful saddles - I love my fading suede Jessica , both my daughter and my other friend have one too. They are fab saddles at an excellent price.

The round horse friend did fancy an ideal saddle but I think she tried one in the past and the tree didnt fit, but as you say you newer model may just do the trick and I am sure she would like to have all the options. She lives East Yorkshire area - I know R and R Country used to fit yours but no longer do which is a great shame. A qualified fitter recommendation would be great - pm me if you prefer.

Thanks for all the info - I know she will be really grateful.

Cullohill

photobucket.com
Patrick Wilkinson Saddlery, 108 Walkergate, Beverly, North Humberside, HU17 9BT, 01482 870800

He is amazing and a lovely guy highly recomend contacting him.....

Glad you found the info helpful!!