Safe cob or flashy purebred?!

Bernster

Visit site
I’d agree temperament and attitude over breed but when I was looking I focussed on Irish - ish or ID. Fab types, tend to be green in the school if they are younger but they have a decent amount of bone, and are often good all rounders.

What area are you in (PM if preferred)?

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have never owned a cob, but they seem to me to be very prone to bucking, is is their short back? The often seem to have a "playful" buck when going into canter, or when spooking. Not necessarily unseating, but annoying all the same.

As above, get something that is doing what you want it to do now, nothing that is a project. Don't get anything too big though, you need to get on and off easily!

mavandkaz

Visit site
I'm another who buys for temperament first, breeding isn't even a consideration - I currently have a cob and a tb.
They are both pretty reliable and fairly safe. Obviously the TB is much more athletic, and even though he is more sensible then the cob, I am well aware that one buck is all that is needed to get me off.
The cob is the more forward of the two, and is spookier. But due to her width I feel much safer on her. No matter what she does (when I first got her she lacked confidence hacking alone and would occasionally spin) I feel safe as she never unseats me, she always right there under me. She puts in some excitable bucks when jumping, but again I barely feel them. She has given me so much confidence, and she is a true turbo cob - everywhere she goes she ends up with a fan club.
I'm also in the south, so depending on where abouts you are, you could come and see her in the flesh and see if she's the type you may be interested in.

Nudibranch

Visit site
A Dales, although finding one might be difficult. Super temperaments, good all rounders. Mine is a superb hack/pleasure ride/low level distance horse (I say horse because she is 15hh). I don't like cobs, purely on appearance but a Dales is a different story.
She blows my previous lot - WB, TBs - out of the water for all terrain riding. It's like driving in snow and swapping a sports car for a 4x4.
The only trouble with Dales is that they're addictive.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Maybe look at horses with the right spec and temperament rather than getting bogged down by breeds. I naturally always gravitate towards big, chunky and hairy when it comes to horses because they please me alot aesthetically. On that basis you couldn't pay me to take a TB, they don't "do it" for me me but I have, in the past, ridden some lovely ones. Look at anything that suits what you are needing unless it's breeding really offends you lol, and you will find d "the one". The horse on your list is often not the horse you come home with ??

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i love looking for horses so have been looking, found 4 who may be suitable

ref 258522, cheapest but sounds like she would be good,only drawback is she has a melanoma, worth a call to find out where ..

ref 258632, my favourite part connie , but a hefty price

ref 258935 , a bit bigger wb but same price as the connie

ref 257821, welsh d mare, £6950 ovno

Last edited:

pistolpete

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions. It’s a minefield and an expensive one! I made a monumental mistake buying my Highland so understandably nervous about my next potential purchase. A full loan might be the best option but people don’t tend to loan out their rock solid hacking horses.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Cobs aren't my thing but I do like my natives-NF?. A purebred doesn't have to be "flashy" to do its job.

I think you look at the animal description before the breed. I do like substance as I'm a bigger frame myself!?

My friend (heading for OAP status) has a fell that is happy to plod about with her but step up a gear for her daughter.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I have owned several cobs and a few flashy pure or part breds. Of all of them the most dangerous and unpredictable was, in particular, a very hairy traditional cob, definitely not one for the faint hearted! The most placid and easy going one of the hairy type was a Suffolk Punch X, but even he was VERY strong and could be very determined to go for an unasked for gallop when he was younger.

On reflection probably the steadiest types I have owned have been either full ID or IDX.

Personally I would be going through ads of any breed with a fine tooth comb and ditch ANY that have phrases like 'prefers to hack in company', 'can be stubborn but eager to please', 'not for a complete novice', 'needs a calm and steady rider to release full potential' etc. etc.

God I could start a new thread on the hidden agenda on for sale wording, seen it all and fallen for a few myself over the years. Now I am unlikely to ever buy or sell a horse again I have finally worked my way through all the creative descriptions, but unfortunately too late to save me from some of my unwise purchases!

Good luck OP - they are out there, but you just have to keep plugging away. I got my last horse purely by advertising on my FB business page and my own private page, listing all the very few boxes that had to be ticked, and the ones I would also be glad to find in one horse, but not a deal breaker. I got offered my horse of a lifetime that probably ticked all my boxes bar one - The 'nothing over 16.2' box:oops:. but then I have a very decent sized mounting block so I was able to deal with that drawback, only problem would be finding somewhere to mount and dismount when out and about, that one I solved by telling myself in no uncertain terms never to dismount on a ride lol! Would I chop him down to 16.2 if I could? In a heartbeat, but if that is the only thing that would have put me off buying him, then I consider myself very lucky indeed.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
I agree. You'll rarely go wrong with a Fell Pony.

My fell pony is the best hacking horse I've ever ridden, so surefooted over any ground, keeps up with the big'uns no problem.

Hacks out on his own, front middle or behind in company, and is happy to meet up with others from other yards and then leave them again to tootle off home with no bother.

lme

Visit site
I'm older than you and horse shopping for the first time in a very long time. I've decided not to change the type of horse I ride at this point in my life so I'm looking at tall, rangy mares, ,with a nice attitude. I didn't enjoy riding cobs in my 40s, so I don't think I will suddenly prefer that way of going in my 60s. Probably going for a younger horse as I want this one to be my last ridden horse.

windand rain

Visit site
the right temperament is vital. I of course would recommend highlands or Welsh D for the kind of horse that will do anything. Highland ponies (the right ones) are to me the ideal horse for almost any casual riders they can do dressage, showjump to a meter event to at least BE90 in my experience hack alone or in company can be trained to do most things as they have agile brains. Drawback might be their strength but they can be trained not to use it against you

Orangehorse

Visit site
This is why I wish Morgans were much better known, there are very few being bred in the UK. They are small horses, will do anything, usually sensible even if they are spirited. They are co-operative horses, you might fall off, but they (mostly) won't want you to. Mine sometimes looks as though he is going to launch me into outer space with his snorting and high head and tail and people gawp - but you know what, he has never, ever even tried to buck when I am riding him.

Talk about put your grandma on- 84 year old Angela Bulmer rides a Morgan stallion

marmalade76

Visit site
This is why I wish Morgans were much better known, there are very few being bred in the UK. They are small horses, will do anything, usually sensible even if they are spirited. They are co-operative horses, you might fall off, but they (mostly) won't want you to. Mine sometimes looks as though he is going to launch me into outer space with his snorting and high head and tail and people gawp - but you know what, he has never, ever even tried to buck when I am riding him.

Talk about put your grandma on- 84 year old Angela Bulmer rides a Morgan stallion

I'd love a Morgan but when I was looking to buy, I couldn't find any :(

Floofball

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions. It’s a minefield and an expensive one! I made a monumental mistake buying my Highland so understandably nervous about my next potential purchase. A full loan might be the best option but people don’t tend to loan out their rock solid hacking horses.
Where abouts are you PP? I do know of a rock solid hacking horse but don’t think the owner wants him to go too far away.

Lyle

Visit site
what about an ID? I have a gorgeous 4yo mare here, she's got a dash of TB so technically registered as ISH. Just starting her under saddle, and my goodness, it's like she's read the book! totally unflappable! Perhaps one that's been going a while would suit? The solid build but more of a sports look than a cob.