Safe cob or flashy purebred?!

TGM

Visit site
I agree. You'll rarely go wrong with a Fell Pony.

Living near someone who breeds Fell ponies I know they've had their fair share of tricky ones!

Personally, as others have said I don't go by breed, I go by temperament and what is on the horse's 'CV'. (Obviously different if you want to show/breed).

I've known cobs that are sharp and cobs that are bombproof, TBs that are fruitloops and TBs that are saints, warmbloods suitable for beginners and WBs that can only be ridden by pros, native ponies that are genuine and others that are tricky. So would keep options open on breeds, apart from where you might be limited due to height/weight.

Leandy

Visit site
I wouldn't look for a specific breed unless I wanted to show or breed that specific breed. Nor would I ever look for a hairy cob type as that is just not my type. I'd be after something in between but height, age, soundness, experience, temperament and whether it is currently doing what I want it to do (unless prepared to bring it on) would all be more important than breeding for me. Breeding is interesting yes and may tell you something about temperament etc but the horse in front of you is the most important thing.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I'd love a Morgan but when I was looking to buy, I couldn't find any :(

It is a big shame as their is certainly a niche for them, a sensible horse that can turn its hoof to anything and the most vital thing, they are as a breed, co-operative and, as an American said "Very forgiving of their riders." They are not rocking horses, they can be very spirited but their owners love them for being nice horses. As one YO said about mine, "If all horses were like yours there wouldn't be any problem horses."

No, few and far between. Hardly anyone breeding them now and if they do it is for their own use and not for sale. Trouble is, the people still actively involved are getting old themselves and most have decided to stop breeding. There were quite a lot around at one time, but like mine, they are in their 20s now.

Lou27

Visit site
This is why I wish Morgans were much better known, there are very few being bred in the UK. They are small horses, will do anything, usually sensible even if they are spirited. They are co-operative horses, you might fall off, but they (mostly) won't want you to. Mine sometimes looks as though he is going to launch me into outer space with his snorting and high head and tail and people gawp - but you know what, he has never, ever even tried to buck when I am riding him.

Talk about put your grandma on- 84 year old Angela Bulmer rides a Morgan stallion

I couldn’t agree more. I spent several years in the US riding Morgans, by far my favourite breed. Amazing temperament, versatile and in my experience, sound! I’m really gutted they aren’t popular here.