Safety stirrups question

Visit site
I have been looking at the above in my local tack shop and the only ones they have are the "rubber band" type, which are aimed at children I believe. Would these be suitable for an adult (weightwise) My wintec saddle is extremely difficult to get my stirrup leathers on and in the event of a fall I dont think they would release from the stirrup bar so thought this might be the answer.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I take the non-pc view that I would rather check the stirrups for bending (as that's what they do, they don't crack and break) and replace them as necessary than risk being dragged.

flying solo

Visit site
Alma:
I use these stirrups in my wintec for this reason. I hope that if I did fall off, the band would pop off and my foot would slide out if it had become stuck.

I'm just under 10st at the minute and they hold my weight fine x

Bernster

Visit site
I used the elastic band type stirrups but they popped off once out on a sponsored ride and I couldn't find the fitting to put em back on ! I am a little over 10st - and xmas hasn't helped - I wonder if they were telling me I was too portly??!!

Swapped to the rubberised ones instead which I think are much better and have lasted me for years.

Brandy

Visit site
I use the ones with the bent outside bit of you know what I mean - all metal, but witha curve to stop your foot getting trapped. POny fell over and foot came straight out so was pleased as I do think he'd run and run if he had me hanging from the stirrup! God forbid.

Visit site
Hmm Im beginning to think that at 12st they would not be robust enough when mounting . I think Ill go for another type, thanks peeps!

ThePony

Visit site
I use the ones with the bent outside bit of you know what I mean - all metal, but witha curve to stop your foot getting trapped. POny fell over and foot came straight out so was pleased as I do think he'd run and run if he had me hanging from the stirrup! God forbid.

These ^^, better for adult riders as they are designed for the weight, peacock ones (with the rubber bands) aren't up to an adults weight. Would be really crap if your safety stirrups caused an accident lol!
(P.S. these are what I have and find them good http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/Bent_Leg_Safety_Stirrups-(702).aspx)

PoniesRock

Visit site
Alma:
I use these stirrups in my wintec for this reason. I hope that if I did fall off, the band would pop off and my foot would slide out if it had become stuck.

I'm just under 10st at the minute and they hold my weight fine x

Same :)
I like my safety stirrups for this reason and they have come off on numerous occasions when I have fallen off.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I've bought myself safety stirrups with the rubber band (did they used to be called "Peacock" stirrups or am I losing my memory really badly). I did query in the saddlers whether they'd cope with my weight and was told they would be fine, no problem. ETA the tack shop said they are often used by grown men out hunting so I should be fine.

So far so good. Haven't fallen off yet but it won't be long, I'm sure!!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
http://www.equishopping.co.uk/item-fasttackdirect234.htm

These are the absolute best for stopping you getting dragged if you fall off - with the added benefit of giving you an instantly fabby lower leg position :) - if you don't mind what they look like - although I find you don't notice them after a while.

I got them about a year ago for my children after my son was dragged and trampled when his peacock irons failed to work :( I then discovered how good they were for leg position, and I've encouraged a few of my adult clients to get them as well - instant lower leg improvement :D

I've seen people get their feet stuck in bent leg irons as well - the problem with them is that by bending the outside of the iron the amount of space available for your foot to slip through is increased. It kind of depends how you fall as to whether your foot comes clear or goes through.

Peacock irons do have a weight limit, but I don't know what it is :)

rhino

Visit site
I have always been told that the maximum weight for traditional peacock stirrups is 8st. No idea how/when they were tested or if it is a rough estimate but I have heard it from a number of people, including a saddler (Jeffries I think) as well as seeing stirrups bent out of shape by heavier riders. :) So ok for littlies but not most adults. Luckily there are plenty of other types to choose from :)

sakura

Visit site
I use them and I'm an adult, but I do weigh under 8stone, they've snapped with me when I've needed them too

Mythical

Visit site
I have relatively little experience with falling off, but my feet get stuck in the bent leg type of safety stirrup all the time. So far they've always come off with a little push, but I worry for what would happen if I did fall off.

Kat

Visit site
If you are really paranoid about getting dragged get toe cage stirrups. If less paranoid go for bent leg irons.

Peacock irons are not safe for adults.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I have always been told that the maximum weight for traditional peacock stirrups is 8st. No idea how/when they were tested or if it is a rough estimate but I have heard it from a number of people, including a saddler (Jeffries I think) as well as seeing stirrups bent out of shape by heavier riders. :) So ok for littlies but not most adults. Luckily there are plenty of other types to choose from :)

Good to know. If shall keep an eye on mine and if they bend I shall take them back to the tack shop. I am a little (ahem) more than 8 stone....
Have to say the ones I got do look nice and chunky so I wonder if they have been "supersized" to cope with adults?

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Safety stirrups always worked well for me as a child, I also heard that the weight limit for them was 8st, and my sister's left one had bent out of shape slightly (she's only just over 8 stone) from her mounting (they were very old stirrups though).