safety stirrups, which are best?

EllieBeast

Visit site
Hi, I haven't posted in ages but have still been lurking. I saw the thread on polymer stirrups shattering and although I dont use them it did get me thinking.
I currently have a newly backed 3yo and am using peacock stirrups with her 'just in case'. However I am above the 9st limit for them so need to look into alternatives. On my older mare I have used the bendy stirrups but read on here that they aren't particularly reliable either.
This leaves me with the bent leg irons, are there any particular downfalls with this design, be it strength or safety? I would be interesred in hearig peoples opinions and experience in this. Luckily she hasnt dumped me on the floor just yet but id like to minimise the danger should it happen!

Tnavas

Visit site
Hi, I haven't posted in ages but have still been lurking. I saw the thread on polymer stirrups shattering and although I dont use them it did get me thinking.
I currently have a newly backed 3yo and am using peacock stirrups with her 'just in case'. However I am above the 9st limit for them so need to look into alternatives. On my older mare I have used the bendy stirrups but read on here that they aren't particularly reliable either.
This leaves me with the bent leg irons, are there any particular downfalls with this design, be it strength or safety? I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions and experience in this. Luckily she hasn't dumped me on the floor just yet but id like to minimise the danger should it happen!

If you are referring to the 'Simplex' irons they are the most unsafe as if your foot moves to the side the whole foot can go through the stirrup iron.
82304.jpg

The safest are the ones like the Peacock that have no elastic band. Or use 'Toe Stoppers' - look a bit kiddish but totally prevent your foot getting caught.
Called Safestyle Offset Stirrup Irons

imagesqtbnANd9GcRHCG9-L8xnmErZxTkiO.jpg

Also make sure that your stirrup iron is wide enough - allow 1" wider than the widest part of your foot.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Thanks for your reply, with regards to the open sided ones would the weight limit not still apply? If peacock stirrups have a 9st limit then id assume these would be the same? Im by no means overweight but at 5'10" I would have to be malnourished to be within the threshold!

mtj

Visit site
Mountain Horse make a safety stirrup that is essentially a peacock - has a piece of black rubber in place of the band. These are intended for adults.

Tnavas

Visit site
The metal in them is much thicker and heavier so withstands the weight well.

mtj - I think I know the ones you mean they have something like a hollow tube of rubber that links the top and bottom and in the event of a fall they just pop out. Can't remember what they are called

Tnavas

Visit site
My daughter has the MH quick release - fully tested!!!!! They work very well. Her horse tends to spin & sling her out the side door. You can use them with any boots also, not just MH ones. http://www.dragonflysaddlery.co.uk/...&subcatname=Stirrup+Irons+&+Treads&itemid=326

Don't know if it is still the case but Mountain Horse stirrups are not approves at Pony Club in the UK.

The ones that pop are really good, I'm about to buy the cage things (Toe stoppers here in NZ) as I sometimes have to ride in sneakers because my ankle swells so much I can't get my boots on.

longdog

Visit site
Don't know if it is still the case but Mountain Horse stirrups are not approves at Pony Club in the UK.

The ones that pop are really good, I'm about to buy the cage things (Toe stoppers here in NZ) as I sometimes have to ride in sneakers because my ankle swells so much I can't get my boots on.

You can replace the treads with plain ones - fillis treads fit the irons

TableDancer

Visit site
Not sure if you can still buy Barnes Buckles? I used to use them myself and for miniTD - got out of the habit for some reason. The one drawback is that they can VERY occasionally pop at the wrong moment, but I only personally know of one instance of that happening - unfortunately, though, it was at a 3* event :eek: Never happened to me or miniTD in years of use on loads of different horses/ponies.

Crazycob06

Visit site
My hubby has a pair of stirrups which 'bend' in the middle they are covered in rubber and appparently bend in half if their was an accident (Im not explaining this very well lol)

Ill look for a link

His were about £100 though

I think they are like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sprenger-SP...4HF2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357563044&sr=8-4

I have a much cheaper version of these but think they are just as good! Got them off ebay! (And they are pink... Hangs head in shame :eek:)