Salt licks?

dwi

Visit site
Daisy has a plain mineral and salt lick mounted onto her wall.

As I understand it unless you have a molassed one they will just lick the amount they need. Daisy likes hers but doesn't go overboard

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
In the past mine have never bothered with them. I do always put salt in the food then I can be sure they are getting enough and give more less in line with their work and time of year.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
My girl has one on her wall, the mint one i think (green). She does lick it quite often but not enough that i'm worried about it. She licks it more in summer when they obviously need it more.
smile.gif

eekmon

Visit site
My horse has a plain salt lick in his box, and he licks it quite a bit, I usually cahnge it about once every 2 1/2 - 3 months. He won't touch any other sort of lick.

Visit site
I had visions of my horse drinking itself full of water from licking too much salt and I am restricitng how much time he gets with it.

pagancluf

Visit site
I put one in each food manger - to slow their eating as they have to eat around it - but ensures they get salt in their diet every day. Just a normal block thingy. they drink a bucket of water each night but thats it.

showjump2003

Visit site
My horses won't even touch them (salt licks). They love the horselyx tubs but of course they are mollassed. They only get them at night and the refill pots last them under two weeks. They only get them occasionally.

parsley

Visit site
I have just bought my two a huge one - they must have licked it a lot in the first night as there were lots of dribbles around it the next day!
grin.gif
They have slowed down a lot since and have drank a bit more water but not huge amounts.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have several usual Rockie salt licks, one of their boosted ones (5 * square one) and a vit & min lick which they have 24/7 access to. I find they dont tend to lick them much anyway! The only lick Ive ever had to really limit was one of those Horselyx ones - they go crazy over the respiratoy and mobility ones!!