salt????

Chasing away wild mammals with a dog?

• Total voters

Josh_craney

Visit site
i was recently reading a post and the majority where saying table salt was good mixed in with the horses feed, but someone was saying that it wasnt so can someone tell me the benifits and is it safe??

Happytohack

Visit site
Mine have access to a salt lick -it is interesting that one of them uses it quite a lot, two others use it now and then and one never uses it. I would not add it to feeds, but prefer to let them help themselves to it if they need it.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I feed PF rock salt which I believe is better than regular table salt as it purer (less anti-caking stuff, etc, etc). I think low sodium (lite) salt is very good too, but (and you should ask Druid as she's got all the info) it's best to mix the two.
Sorry for being so hazy on the facts.
I'd use a salt lick but haven't seen any out here. Go figure.

sunsation

Visit site
Mine have access to mineral blocks, but I also add salt to their hard feeds or an electrolyte mix if they have sweated excessively. The salt I use is rosk salt I think... It comes in a 30kg bag from the feed supplier. I'll have a look in the morning, when it's light.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I use table salt - i was told by Rock's nutritionist to give it to him - so judging by the fact a qualified equine nutritionist told me to give him table salt in his feed im guessing its ok
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
Yes I feed salt to my horses. I only ever give them rock/sea salt as it is unrefined and still contains all the trace elements needed.

Refined iodized salt, otherwise known as Table Salt is not good at all for horses as it has been stripped of all of the beneficial elements. I have never, and will never, use refined salt for my horses......or myself!

I've always been one to research everything I feed my animals and anything which seems suspect is investigated by me. The word "refined" usually gives an inkling that something may not be quite so good - therefore when I don't believe that the spin telling us it is good, I will do research. My research showed me that rock/sea salt is the correct salt to be feeding animals.

Each to their own of course.
smile.gif