sanctuaries in East Sussex

Troylimbo1

Visit site
Hi all,
To cut a long story short a friend of mine bought a pony last year that turned out to have navicular. He is currently sound with natural balance shoes and a 'filler' (can't remember the name sorry) and is ridden.
Basically she is going through a very messy divorce and cannot afford to keep this pony and due to his problems has made the decision not to sell him on and he is booked in to be put to sleep on 23rd March.
However, my question is would a sanctuary take him? I know they are probably overwhelmed with horses and ponies but it seems like such a shame to end his life when he still has a good quality of life left.
If so do you know of any fairly local to us that I can contact?

Many thanks

moses06

Visit site
It is doubful that a sanctuary would take him - they are full to bursting and only taking urgent welfare cases. Sad as it is I think the owner has made a very sensible and responsible decision - at least she will have the knowledge that the pony will not be sold on by some unscrupulous person and end up in a downward spiral of sales and neglect. I am afraid I would have him PTS too.

joeanne

Visit site
You may not want to hear this, but well done your friend for making sure her pony isnt passed from pillar to post.
Many sanctuaries are fit to burst right now, so finding places are like looking for hens teeth. Given that, I think what your friend is doing is remarkably brave and shows she cares what could happen to him.