Santon Downham riding?

parsley

Visit site
Appoligies if I have already asked this..... my brain has turned into a horrible mush.

I want to ride in Thetford forest in the Santon Downham part on Sunday. I spoke to the forestry commision today to ask where I could park. The lady suggested the lime tree avenue, but cautioned me to lock the box up well as people obviously know that if they see a horsebox there the owner will be gone for some time. She also said I could park in the forestry commision car park, but that it would be busy or up a dirt track to st helens forest.

The question is - is there anyone here who rides in this area and if so where is the best place to park?????? I can't go over the river to st helens as I have a 7.5 ton box and the bridge has a 3 ton weight limit.

Happytohack

Visit site
Don't park at Harling Drove as it is pretty dug up at the moment. Also friend had her box broken into their when she was out riding. If you go on 29th October, EGB Iceni group have a pleasure ride from Harling Bridgeham Lane carpark and you might meet up with their riders.

parsley

Visit site
I wonder if it was Harling Drove she was refering to as an alternative place to park - off the Mundford road? My box is fairly poor in the mud so I will probably give that a miss then
grin.gif
I was hoping to go this Sunday so I should miss the Iceni riders

Happytohack

Visit site
Can you park at MayDay Farm (just up and opposite from Brandon Country Park)? Harling Drove is definitely a no go at the moment. There were travellers there recently as well.

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
look at Little Lodge farm on the web - this is where I take my horse on holiday 1 mile from Santon Downham rides direct from the farm are amazing and you never touch roads or you can ride along a track for a mile to the village itself (you can also ford the river which is fun) they are lovely people and if you speak to Geoff or Hannah I'm sure they'll let you park even if they charge you a small fee it's cheaper than a broken in lorry!