Sarcoid near the eye

bumper

Visit site
Does anyone have experience of treatment of this?

My boy has developed one on his upper right eyelid, the vet is coming on Monday. I have been searching online, and it seems BCG vaccination can be good in treatment of ones near the eye.....anyone got good/bad experience of this treatment? Or ideas as to the other options?

Thanks x

Nagling

Visit site
I have a horse that developed two sarcoids near her eyes. I tried the homeopathic thuja but it had no effect on her. I was able to try bloodroot ointment on one of them as it wasn't as close to the eye as the other but that had no effect. In the end I fed Global herbs Sarc-ex and they looked horrible for a bit and then just dropped off. It probably only took about 6 weeks. They haven't come back a year later and all thats left is two scars much smaller than the original sarcoid. She had the sarcoids in other places too - they just came up as a three year old with no sign of them before. You'd never really know she'd had them and she shows successfully now! Its a really good idea to keep a fly mask on while you're treating the sarcoids.
Good Luck!

bumper

Visit site
Thanks Nagling.
I've tried thuja too, and a 4 month period of Sarc-X, with no effect sadly: hence why the vet is coming now. It's been there for months but really tiny like a dried pea, which is why I tried the thuja and the Global Herbs first, initially, but over the past 3/4 weeks it's got a lot bigger!

It's now tending to bleed/scab, and is clearly annoying him, whereas before it didn't. I'm worried.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
bcg injections work well, but with risks. irridium wires work very well when close to the eye. get your vet to refer you to dr knottenbelt at liverpool. neither treatment is cheap but both are effective. good luck.

much-jittering

Visit site
Had a vet take one off from right near the eye of one at work, you wouldn't know it had ever been there now and he shows very successfully (mind you he did alright with it too, but that was as a youngster). I can't tell you much about what techniques etc were actually used, just that it's not the end of the world!

bumper

Visit site
ofcourseyoucan, thanks, I've read the risks with the BCG can be systemic. It's a worry, he's such a lovely boy in all respects, a really nicely put together horse, well mannered, 100% in all ways, a delight, and just turned 5YO. He is fully insured, with NFU, so we should be OK.

Thanks much-jittering, that's a comfort. I'd love to show him, as he would do well in every other respect, but my main priority is to remove the annoying itchy bleeding thing over his eye for him :)

bumper

Visit site
This is the lad:

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Last edited:

lazybee

Visit site
I have a have a horse with a small sarcoid under is eye. We have a pot of bloodroot, but I don't want to use it so close to his eye. So I'm trying human Salactol wart treatment. He's only been treated for a week so far so I will see how it goes. has anyone else tried it I wonder?

irishdraft

Visit site
I have a 4 year old Id who had 2 sarcoids come up by his eye, not on the actual eyelid, I enquired about the BCG but it was very expensive, carnt remember how much now but as Im not insured the vet thought no and prescribed efudix, a human skin cancer cream, this has got rid of it but unfortunately has left a scar and a tiny bit of crusty skin which may still be sarcoid i dont know, but anyway it hasnt done anything since january so Im hoping its finished it.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Try feeding NAF D-tox, it has cleared quite a few sarcoids on horses I have known. It alters their immune system and helps them fight it internally.
With the horses I was treating I increased the dose to a tablespoonful three times a day and only after a month did they start to disappear.

Monkers

Visit site
I have just started using propolis on my mare's many small sarcoids. I have to say it seems to be working. Some have dropped off and the largest one (still only 3 x pea sized) has shrivelled right up and I am sure will drop off soon. She also has the start of several sarcoids around both eyes and the propolis seems to be working here too.

sywell

Visit site
I had a 17hh gelding with one near the eye about the size of an old 3 penny piece my vet wanted it to go to Newmarket to be treated with depleted uranium needles for about £1000. I got rid of it with the Bazooka zit cream and it has never come back. Any little spots that look as if they could be sarcoids we put some on while they are tiny seems to work well for me. I appreciate that if I had made a mistake the horse could have been blinded. I had another horse with one on the inside top of the leg about 2 inches long and it was a slow process but I got rid of it. I vet visit = 5 tubes.

Wundahorse

Visit site
My Mare had a perioccula rsarcoid.BCG seemed a difficult and distressing option so tried global herbs SARCEX which did the trick.4 years on and it has not returned.

Brownmare

Visit site
I've just recently had my tb's sarcoids treated. The vet sent photos to Liverpool and they sent back Liverpool cream for the one on her leg and retinol cream (Zorax) for the one on her eye. Both treatments appear to have been successful but I was warned the eye may need a second treatment although that doesn't seem likely atm. There are so many types of sarcoids that I think it's best to consult the experts!

leflynn

Visit site
Defo consultant the experts! My boy has a total of 3 sarcoids round his eyes. One above his left eye and 2 small ones below his right eye. The one above his eye ended up having iridium treatment as it was too large and too close to his eye to treat with BCG, the other 2 small ones are being treated with 2 different creams (am on the 2nd one flourocil now) as they won't run in his eye!

You can see the white scar of his left eye treatment (done in feb/march) in the pic below

who me by le_flynn, on Flickr

I have to say both has responded as they should have done and above his left eye the lump has pretty much all but gone now and the 2 small ones below his right eye are starting to disappear too :D *touches wood* The Vet, me and the team at liverpool are pleased so far. I would defo recommend speaking to your vet and being referred :)

bumper

Visit site
Well this is it:
IMG_0392.jpg

Vet has referred to a large Equine Hospital some 30 miles away so not too far, I'm waiting on them to phone me.

Ignore the weepy blobby stuff to the left, it's just the wound gel I put on it to keep flies away, under the fly mask, just in cases.

bumper

Visit site
We have been referred to prof Knottenbelt at Liverpool, I have to take photos to email them up there. Apparently they do have lower strength Liverpool cream that can be applied around the eyes by my vet now. Will update when I get a reply next week.

I'll keep posting on this if others find it helpful :)

leflynn

Visit site
Excellent news! Red has just finished his 2nd cream treatment this morning, so I'm taking pics to send to liverpool this afternoon, then I have to take more in 7 days and go from there. It seems to be working so far and scabbing as expected, will post pics if anyone wants to see :) (it isn't gory!)

smellsofhorse

Visit site
My lad had above his left eye.
It grew huge. Very quickly.
He had 2 operations to reduce the mass then started bcg injections, it responded very quickly.
Not almost a year since last treatment you would know he had had it, just a tiny scar where the op was.

leflynn

Visit site
ETA leflynn....how many times per day/week did you vet have to come to apply the cream? Did it bother your boy to have it applied?

Hi, I applied it twice a day at 12 hour intervals. He was really good with it, but then we've had months of practice at doing things to his eyes so I think he trusts me, plus he used to get a polo after I'd done it which helped ;)

leflynn

Visit site
It also makes it cheaper too ;) I am runningout of claim money for sarcoids so my vet was very good to me :) I also think it depends on the cream type as to if you can apply it yourself.

Here's a pic from last friday, it makes the area look larger than it is! The yellowy scab has dropped off and its a bit sore for him now, but he's still coping well (brave boy)

eye 1 by redlaura, on Flickr

eye 2 by redlaura, on Flickr

bumper

Visit site
Wow, that looks brilliant!
The pics of Phoenix should be up at Liverpool by now (I sent them to my vet at the weekend): the sooner we can start treatment the better as he is really bothered by it now, keeps rubbing it and taking the "top" off it, which is making it bleed. I just want to get going!

leflynn

Visit site
I'd reckon they'll be back to you early next week in that case, as it takes them just over a week to come back to me as they are mega busy! It's gone red and a bit sore over the last week and I noticed another scab is about to drop off, I've more pics to take tonight for liverpool so I'll stick them up and at least you know what you might facing! (yours may be different you never know). I used to wash his eyes with a little water and cotton wool if he was getting itchy and it seemed to help a bit, not sure if you've tried it?

bumper

Visit site
Yes. I've been using saline, but not cotton wool: I was worried bits would get stuck, as it tends to shed.

It's really calmed down over the past couple of days. Same size, no bleeding. That's just luck..he hasn't rubbed it!! However, he has managed to trash ANOTHER fly mask...we thought it was infallible...sadly no. Quick trip to Cornwall Farmers with 75% off..£2.50 for a fly mask! I seriously need to look online to stock up as we are going to need lots.

leflynn

Visit site
I used to really wet it otherwise the cotton wool goes everywhere! Other option is to splash out and get the cosmetic double faced pads from boots or superdrug as they don't! Fly masks, have been through a couple of those too - I think the best and longest lasting so far is the Premier Equine ones, bit more than £2.50 (£13 with FB discount), but outlasted the equilibrium one!

Here are the pics from Friday, looks a bit more sore, but he's still okay with it

IMG_0548 by redlaura, on Flickr

IMG_0545 by redlaura, on Flickr